This period is certainly not the best of times for members of the Anambra State Vigilante Group as unknown gunmen have declared war on them, hunting them down during social events especially funeral ceremonies in the state.
The sleepy town of Ebenator in Nnewi South Local Government Area of the state was the first hit as unknown gunmen allegedly move from house to house in search of vigilante operatives and collected all the guns in their possession.
Sources claimed that the rampaging gunmen extended their onslaught to Ezinifite in the same council area and actually attacked a group of vigilante members.
There was panic in the industrial town of Nnewi in Nnewi North local government area as news went round that the unknown gunmen attacked vigilante operatives who were trying to maintain the peace at a funeral ceremony at Ndingbu village in the town.
The suspects according to a source allegedly shot sporadically in the air and disposed the vigilante operatives of their guns. Sources claimed that after a successful operation in Nnewi, the hoodlums escaped to a neighboring council area where the reign of terror continued.
Most of the respondents who spoke with our correspondent expressed shock over the latest development noting that shortly after the EndSARS protest, the vigilante operators have stepped into the vacuum created by the near absence of policemen and other conventional security agents whose stations and offices were burnt down during the protest.
“It is high time the state government face the challenge of insecurity squarely, it is obvious now that the persons going after vigilante operatives to disarm them are not and cannot be members of the Indigenous People Of Biafra(IPOB). They are common criminals hiding under all forms of cloaks to perpetrate their evil agenda. IPOB as a matter of duty should streamline their activities and expose those persons tarnishing their image,” a respondent noted.
It would be recalled that about twenty persons were allegedly shot dead in Ebenebe in Awka North local government area during a funeral ceremony last month.
Meanwhile, the Anambra State Commissioner of Police, Echeng Echeng(CP) has unleashed all the tactical units of the command to go after the rampaging unknown gunmen with the aim of arresting and bringing them to book.
The CP also appealed to Ndi-Anambra and residents alike to volunteer useful information that will assist his men and officers to fish out the criminals.
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated