A final year student of business administration Fisayo Adetoro has been found guilty of impersonation, forgery and money laundering and sentenced to cumulative 13 years in prison and N1,000,000 fine.
Adetoro, a student of Joseph Ayodele Babalola University, (JABU) was arrested alongside Emmanuel Omole and Wale Ayeni– students of the Federal University of Technology Akure (FUTA) for engaging in internet fraud by the Ondo State Police Command in June 2015.
Ondo State police spokesperson in 2015 Oluwole Ogodo in a statement said the three undergraduate students were arrested at Ilesha Garage and Delta Hotel in Akure following an intelligence report.
While the fate of the other two defendants is unknown, Adetoro will be serving the jail term after over four years of his arrest.
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in a statement said Adetoro, who “was said to be a first-class candidate on 4.5 Cumulative Grade Point Aggregate (CGPA), was convicted by Justice Folashade Olubanjo of the Federal High Court 1, Akure, in a criminal case filed against him.”
EFCC said Adetoro was originally arraigned on January 18, 2017, on a six-count charge, but pleaded not guilty to all the charges.
The allegations include falsely representation of himself to be Bawa Mohammed Sanni with an aim to defraud his victims to the tune of thousands of United States Dollars.
He was also accused of using the fake name to register for a Nigerian Driver’s Licence bearing his photograph, as well as laundering sums running to millions of naira.
The court sentenced him to five years imprisonment with a fine of N1,000,000 (One Million Naira) for money laundering (Count 6). The jail terms are to run concurrently.
Justice Olubanjo, however, considered the convict for a suspended sentence of six months of community service.
- Gunmen kill DPO in Benue
- World Hijab Day: FOMWAN hails female Muslims for upholding Allah’s command
- JAMB apprehends 6 CBT operators in Kano State
- Kwara govt gives transformers to 11 communities
- Abia ADC suspends guber candidate, 3 others
- Atiku speaks on forming alliance with Kwankwaso, Peter Obi
- Naira redesign: Emefiele urges NASS, Nigerians to show understanding
- Fuel scarcity may affect election logistics — INEC
- SAD…. PDP campaign rally turns mourning in Sokoto as Tambuwal’s aide, Aisha Maina dies
- Nigeria attains 100% broadband penetration— Buhari