Lagos State has assured residents that it is prepared for any eventuality on the fast-spreading Coronavirus from East Asia.
The State health commissioner, Akin Abayomi in a statement Thursday said, “The State Government is very committed to the health and safety of her citizens and there is no cause for panic or alarm.
China first reported the emergence of coronavirus at the end of December, the SARS-like virus has infected more than 500 and killed 17.
The country has consequently locked down Wuhan, a major travel hub and a city of 11 million Chinese residents.
Majority of the victims were elderly individuals with pre-existing health conditions, such as diabetes and liver cirrhosis. It all hailed from central Hubei province, where a local seafood market in the capital city of Wuhan is believed to be the epicentre of the epidemic
In December 2019, the World Health Organization (WHO), China Country office was informed of a cluster of cases of pneumonia of unknown cause which was detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province of China.
While there have been recent reports of the widespread of the communicable virus globally, none has been recorded in Nigeria and Africa.
Abayomi said the Lagos State Biosecurity team in collaboration with Lagos University Teaching Hospital has taken proactive steps to identify the virus through the Biosecurity facility located at the Mainland Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba.
“We are In touch with the National Center for Disease Control in Abuja to align our strategies. Importantly we are also collaborating with the Federal Ports Authority at air, land and sea border posts to elevate screening and surveillance of incoming travellers,” Abayomi said.
- ICPC arrest: D’banj reacts to alleged Npower fraud
- UK govt finally declared candidate to support in 2023 polls
- Vote en masse for me in 2023, Atiku begs Osun people
- Kwara Govt approves scholarship for Law students
- Bernard Arnault overtakes Elon Musk, emerges world’s richest
- Fuel Scarcity: Give us petrol at official ex-depot price, lPMAN tasks NNPC
- We have no hands in appointment of VCs– NUC
- World Cup quarter-finals: Morocco vs. Portugal on Saturday
- Adamawa establishes 5 sexual referral centres – Official
- Ukraine’s Volodymyr Zelenskyy named Time’s 2022 Person of the Year