What FG should do on illicit drug abuse—Gov. Ahmed
The Federal Government has been advised to urgently declare a state of emergency on drug and substance abuse in the country.
Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara State stated this during a courtesy call by the National President of Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN), Pharmacist Ahmed Yakassi, on him at Government House, Ilorin
He noted that the country is faced with a major challenges such as increased crimes such as kidnapping, armed robbery, cultism and insurgency largely induced by abuse of drugs usually among youths.
The Governor said the right steps must be taken by governments at all levels towards curbing the menace of drug abuse which is spreading across all strata of society like a cancer and must be arrested it becomes malignant.
Alhaji Ahmed said drug abuse goes hand in hand with violence, stressing that the most theatres of violence and crime in the world have associated problems of drugs and substance abuse.
The Governor said a tripartite arrangement between governments, regulatory authorities and the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) should be instituted to form platforms to dissuade youths from drug abuse, especially the misuse of over the counter and prescription drugs
According to him, “the level to which our youths have imbibed this habit of drug abuse is getting to an alarming rate at all levels; at the basic education level, at the secondary level, at the tertiary level, it is a very serious situation.
“It will require all hands to be on deck. Everybody will be involved in advocacy and in ensuring that all areas that contribute to the use of drugs are properly handled to give us a better society”.
Governor Ahmed said the administration will improve and compliment the numbers of PSN in the state and ensure proper drug dispensation to users in the state hospitals.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Ex-Nigerian Minister, Kola Jamodu installed as Asiwaju of Ere Kingdom (PHOTOS)
- IEYDA applauds Police, Army, others over peaceful conduct of polls
- How FG punished me for going to court over naira policy – Gov Matawalle
- Nigeria’s total public debt stock hits N46.25trn in Q4 2022 – NBS
- Asari Dokubo leads solidarity walk for President-Elect Tinubu in Rivers State
- MC Oluomo bans illegal Agbero taxes in part of Lagos
- Justice AbdulMuttalib Ambali’s demise, great loss to humanity Emir Sulu-Gambari
- TRIBUTE TO LATE HON. JUSTICE MUTALLIB AHMAD AMBALI OFR
- UNILORIN don, Prof. Aishatu Gobir gets new appointment, group reacts
- Ikpeazu sacks all Special Advisers, Aides