Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has boasted that he can never be impeached as the Senate President.
Saraki, speaking to journalists after meeting with former Military President, Ibrahim Badamosi Babangida, in Minna on Sunday, stated that the All Progressives Congress(APC) championing the cause are minorities at the upper chambers, therefore, don’t have the powers to carry out the impeachment threat.
“The APC members know that we are in the majority and whatever they want to do they know that they don’t have the number.
“The other kite they are trying to fly is asking me to step down from my seat, but I can tell you that this cannot be possible as I will not step down.
“One thing is very clear and that is to say that I will not sacrifice the interest of the country for my personal interest and in the last three years as a Senate president, I have demonstrated that my interest is second to that of national interest,” he remarked.
Saraki also condemned the calls from various quarters, for the Senate to suspend its recess and resume, added that it was a collective decision by all members to adjourn and that their recess is under the ambit of the law.
According to him, “We did not adjourn the Senate in the dark; there was a procedure where at the end of the session there was a vote and it was seconded that we should go on the annual recess.
“So it wasn’t anything done in the secret, everybody was there. It is not that some few people met somewhere and took the decision.
“Everybody participated and everybody took the decision that we should adjourn for a normal annual recess.
“We took a similar decision last year and even two years ago and we agreed to resume on a certain date and it was the agreed date that we resumed, so there is nothing abnormal about the senate adjournment this year and what we are after is a country rooted in the rule of law and a democratic process.
“What is important to me is to ensure the independence of the three arms of the government, to allow rule of law, to ensure that we respect the democratic process,” he added.
- 2023: INEC takes delivery of last batch of PVCs in Edo
- Ex-VC, Prof. Magaji Garba sentenced to 35 years in prison
- Mavin Records’ “Overloading (Overdose)”, most trending 2022 YouTube music video
- Four feared dead in accident involving Gov. Fintiri’s convoy
- Nigeria is not broke, says finance minister
- Aree of Ogele felicitates with Sulu-Gambari on SAN attainment
- 2023: INEC, NUJ collaborate on election, conflict-sensitive reporting
- Senate President cautions against Vote-trading in 2023 poll
- FG approves mother tongue as compulsory language in primary schools
- I’ll continue to prioritise education, says Gov Sule