Argentine and Barcelona FC football star Lionel Messi has finally tied the nuptial knots with his childhood sweetheart, 29-year-old Antonela Roccuzzo.
Messi married Antonela in his hometown in what has been called the “wedding of the century” at a luxury hotel in the city of Rosario, Messi’s hometown in Argentina.
No fewer than 50 football stars and celebrities were among the 260 guests that attended the wedding with hundreds of police deployed for the event.
The 30-year-old Messi met Antonela as a child before he moved to Spain at an early age of 13.
Messi met Antonelawhen he was just five years old. She is the cousin of his best friend, Lucas Scaglia, who also became a professional football player.
The football star accepted an offer to play for Barcelona when he was 13, on condition that they pay for treatment for his growth hormone deficiency.
Barcelona strikers Luis Suárez, Neymar, Gerard Piqué and his wife, Colombia’s pop star Shakira were among the guests at the wedding which took place on Friday.
Sergio Agüero, was also present.
Reports say Messi did not invite any of his recent coaches, including Pep Guardiola, who is now at Manchester City.
Argentina’s other big football legend, Diego Maradona, was also omitted from the list, according to the local press.
A private security firm was contracted to keep gatecrashers at a distance.
About 150 journalists received accreditation to enter a special press area, but were not given full access to the venue, organisers said.
- Kashim Shettima delivers Al-Hikmah convocation lecture
- (PHOTOS) IGP Egbetokun, Amb. Sulu-Gambari, others bag Al-Hikmah Ph.D
- AMR’ll account for 10 million annual deaths by 2050- WHO
- ANHEJ advocates for increased budgetary allocation to health sector
- Emir Sulu-Gambari hosts Kauran Namoda, Imo monarchs in Ilorin (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO NEWS: EFCC Ilorin zonal organises road-walk against corruption
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List