An undergraduate at the Obafemi Awolowo University, Orimolade, has been sentenced to four months imprisonment for defrauding an American man of 150 dollars.
ROYAL NEWS reports that Justice Patricia Ajoku of a Federal High Court in Ibadan, on Friday, tempered justice with mercy for the accused.
Ajoku held that the court sentenced Orimolade, based on the evidence before her and the plea bargain agreement he had with the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission.
“I have considered the plea bargain agreement entered into by the convict as well as the provisions of Section 270 of the Administration of Criminal Justice Act (ACJA) 2015 in this judgment.
“I also consider the fact that Orimolade is a very young person, preparing for his final exams at OAU and that he had shown great remorse.
“However, to serve as a warning to others intending to engage in cybercrime, Orimolade is sentenced to four months in prison and the sentence starts from the date he was first arrested and detained.
“All the exhibits found in his possession are hereby, forfeited to the Federal Government of Nigeria,” Ajoku said.
The defence counsel, Mr Austin Fadugba, had before the judgment prayed the court to temper justice with mercy in sentencing his client.
Earlier, counsel to the EFCC Ibadan zonal office, Mr Babatunde Sonoiki, had told the court that the convict was facing a count amended charge bordering on impersonation.
Sonoiki added that the convict committed the crime on September 28, 2019 in Ibadan, Oyo State.
According to the prosecutor, Orimolade disguised as a US citizen to one American man, Nelisa Snell, that he was deeply in love with him through the Internet.
“Snell, therefore, sent Orimolade 150 dollars, believing that he had found a lover,” Sonoiki said.
The offence, he said, contravened Section 22(A) of the cybercrime law of the Federation 2006.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment