As the nation move towards the 2023 general elections amidst many intrigues, authority of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), has raised concerns about the security challenges in the country stating that elections may not hold.
Build-up to the anticipated general elections which is about nine months away polls, INEC Chairman, Professor Mahmood Yakubu, in his remarks on Friday in Abuja at the second quarterly meeting of the Inter-Agency Consultative Committee on Election Security (ICCES) expressed fear and uncertainty.
He believes that there is enough time for the security agencies to address the situation to ensure people go to their various polling units without concerns over their safety.
The INEC boss also admitted that the present situation was enough to be worried about with the confidence that the threats would be brought under control to allow for elections.
According to him, “The general security situation in the country and its impact on the electoral process is a source of concern to the commission.
“However, we are confident that with nine months to the 2023 general election, there is enough time to respond to the security challenges and secure the nation for elections to take place nationwide.
“The timetable for the election has also been released. Let us not wait until a few weeks to the election before we realise that time is not on our side and begin to seek for extension of timelines.”
Yakubu further said: The time to act is now. We wish to reassure the security agencies that we will continue to work cooperatively with you to ensure the success of all forthcoming elections and electoral activities.”
“The commission is also preparing for two off-cycle governorship elections in Ekiti State (June 18) and Osun State (July 16).”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Buhari’s Women Affairs Minister, Pauline Tallen, withdraws from Senatorial race
- Stirke: UNILORIN VC sends strong message to FG, ASUU
- Ekiti guber race: I’m committed to APC’s victory at poll—Bamidele
- Foundation produces 65 graduates, gets donation from Davido
- I’ll work with NASS to restructure Nigeria – Atiku
- 2023: I will end banditry in 6 months, says Wike
- Blasphemy: No ‘jungle justice’ in Islam, Group backs Sultan Abubakar
- Prophet Muhammad Was Insulted While Alive, Yet He Didn’t Kill Anybody – Sheikh Gumi
- I’m only PDP presidential aspirant to win APC– Wike
- SOKOTO IMBROGLIO: MURIC CONDEMNS LOOTING, ATTACKS ON CHURCHES