The Governor of Kano State, Abdullahi Ganduje, has ordered the immediate closure of two major stadiums in the state for renovation.
The Cable reported that the governor’s action was coming five days to the campaign rally of Atiku Abubakar, presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party.
Atiku’s rally is scheduled for February 10 while the renovation is expected to end on February 18.
The proposed general renovation reportedly included the installation of the new scoreboard, the running track and provision of sources for steady water supply to all parts of the stadiums.
A government official, who spoke off the record told The Cable that the shutdown of the two stadiums – Sani Abacha Stadium situated at Kofar Mata and Kano Pillars Stadium at Sabon Gari – was intended to frustrate the campaign rally of the PDP.
But Abbati Sabo, spokesman of the Kano State Sports Commission, said the closure was not targeted at the presidential rally of the PDP presidential candidate.
He added that the renovation was as a result of the 2019-2020 Nigeria Premier League season.
“As far as I am concerned, this directive doesn’t have a political undertone. The state government was advised to renovate the stadium, ahead of the NPL season,” he said.
“The government had now heeded to the advice and ordered for the commencement of the project in order to have smooth conduct of the league. As you can see, the facility is in need of repair and the government has now answered the call for its renovation.”
President Muhammadu Buhari used the Sani Abacha Stadium for his reelection campaign last week.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Train attack victims: FG reveals details on alleged ransome paid
- AbdulRazaq greets Muslims, attends Kwara’s annual Maulid celebration
- Buhari presents N20.51trn 2023 budget to National Assembly
- Gbajabiamila Pledges Timely Passage of 2023 Budget
- Al-Hikmah varsity Founder offers scholarships to late Sheikh Aboto’s children
- Oil theft has put economic diversification under serious threat—-Lawan
- BREAKING…Appeal Court orders ASUU to call off strike
- Buhari makes last budget presentation as president
- FG declares Monday Oct. 10 as public holiday