By Simon Ujah, Kaduna
Son of the first republic Minister and National Coordinator of the defunct Tranquility Movement of Nigeria, Mohammed Ibrahim Gashash has dragged the Nigeria Army to Court for alleged unlawful arrest and detention.
Gashash told journalists in an interview at the end of the hearing of the case on Tuesday at the Federal High Court sitting in Kaduna that he was arrested in the dead of night without any arrest warrant by the army.
He also lamented that his house was searched without any search warrant and detained for an extensive period weeks by the army without taking to court contrary to the constitution of Nigeria.
According to him, similar incidents of unwarranted wrongful arrest and detention have happened to a many people, some of whom did not survived it, and therefore stressed the need to speak out against the action.
“It is good that it happen. I was arrested on no grounds at all, in the dead of the night without any arrest warrant. My house was search without search warrant.
“The case was presented today. I personally applied that I’ve nothing with the Directorate of State Security Services, DSS. My issue is with the Nigeria army, the honourable judge ordered that a motion be made with regard to the submission and to be served to the DSS”, he said.
When the case came up for hearing on Tuesday at federal high court 1, Counsel to Gashash, Barrister Sabo M. Garba made an oral motion that his client said he has no case with the DSS.
The counsel representing Nigeria Army barrister N. Nanchang told the court that the application made by plaintiff lawyer exonerating the DSS be done in writing, which was upheld by the court judge who later adjourned the case for 24 February for hearing.
Facebook Comments Box
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal
- Multichoice, stakeholders reject pay-per-view for TV
- Money to fix Nigeria stolen on daily basis – ICPC