Former Imo State governor, Senator Rochas Okorocha has said that the agitations from the South East geo-political zone for an Igbo Presidency informed his decision to contest for the number one position in the country.
Okorocha, who is now the senator representing Imo West District at the National Assembly, stated this in a letter addressed to the President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan which he read on Wednesday on the floor of the upper legislative chamber.
The letter also informed his colleagues of a proposed World Press Conference to be hosted by him on Monday, January 31 at the Executive Hall of the International Conference Centre, ICC, Abuja at 11am.
Okorocha, who is a three times presidential aspirant, led the Igbos through his former party, the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA to join forces with President Muhammadu Buhari’s Congress for Progressives Change, CPC, Asiwaju Bola Tinubu’s Action Congress of Nigeria, ACN and Dr. Ogbonnaya Onu-led All Nigeria People’s Party, ANPP to form the current ruling party, All Progressives Congress, APC.
The lawmaker made his first outing 20 years ago as a presidential aspirant under the platform of ANPP with Gen. Muhammadu Buhari then former Head of State, Chief Nnia Nwodo, and Chief Harry Akande.
Again in 2007, he ran under the platform of People’s Democratic Party, PDP coming second to the late President Umaru Musa Yar’Adua where the likes of Prof. Jerrry Gana, Generals Aliyu Gusau and Buba Marwa were contestants.
The letter further describes Okorocha as a popular candidate, especially in the Northern part of Nigeria where he built several schools for the less privileged children.
He holds the traditional titles of Dan Jekan Sokoto, Magan Alherin Hausa, Owelle Ndi Igbo and Omorodun Yorubaland amongst others.
As Imo State governor, he introduced free education at both secondary and tertiary levels while he was also famous for his urban renewal programmes which changed the landscape of Owerri, the state capital.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50