Winner of the 2013 MTN Project Fame, Olawale Ojo, has opened up on why he became a taxi driver in Lagos.
The singer whose video went viral after he was seen driving cab told Channels Television, that despite emerging as the winner of the competition, maintaining stardom was a difficult task.
According to him, he resorted to driving cabs to beat depression.
He noted that although he made attempts to release an album in 2014 where he featured Tiwa Savage, Skales and Lil Kesh, life hit him hard.
He said, “I won an SUV, N5m and a recording contract. Personally, I thought from Project Fame, I was going to blow up like that. That was what everybody expected.
“I put up an album after the show in 2014 and that was part of the contract. I featured Tiwa Savage, Skales and Lil Kesh in the album. I shot two videos.
“Everything just started playing out like that. It got to a stage when life hit me. Things were not working out the way I thought.
”For a short while, I felt depressed. I had the option of giving someone this car to probably drive for me but I didn’t.”
When asked if he was embarrassed about his job, he said, “I have never felt embarrassed about being a cab driver and that is the truth. I have grown past that stage where I would feel embarrassed about what I do to earn a living. As far as you are not feeding me, why would I feel embarrassed or be concerned about your opinion of me?
“Most times, when people order for my service and see me as the driver, they ask if I am the Olawale that won Project Fame and I let them know that I am the one. Most of them ask if I am still doing music and I reply in the affirmative; then, I play my latest songs for them to enjoy while I am driving.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate confirms 19 RECs, NUPRC Executive Commissioner
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities