Why we arrest Senator Rafiu Ibrahim, 8 others — CP Egbetokun
The Commissioner of Police in Kwara State, CP Kayode Egbetokun, on Friday said that the arrest of the Senator representing Kwara South Senatorial District, Dr. Rafiu Ibrahim, has nothing with political intimidation.
Egbetokun who addressed journalists in Ilorin along with other members of the Joint Security Task Force in the state noted that eight other suspects are also in the police custody stressing that “more arrest would be made”.
ROYAL NEWS reports that other security heads at the meeting include; Col. A.A. Egbebuele (Army), Air Commodore Patrick Obeya (Airforce), Navy Commodore N.D. Nurudeen (Navy), Commandant A. Bello (Civil Defence), CP Joe Mukan (Election CP) and Mr. O. Abiona (DSS).
According to him, “The arrest was made in connection to an attack on the Senatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress, (APC), Arch Lola Ashiru, at the palace of the Olojoku of Ojoku in Oyun Local Government Area of the state on Tuesday February 19, where one life was lost while eight people were injured and currently receiving treatment at the hospital.
“The second incidence was an attack on the convoy of Vice President Yemi Osinbajo who visited Ilorin on a peaceful door-to-door campaign. The unfortunate incident occured when the convoy left Isale- Aluko and two people were injured.
The police boss however stressed that, “We have resolved that nobody would be spared in this matter because it is a criminal act which shall be investigated critically. We are not politicans a d we shall not be interested in the political party anybody belongs to.
“Our job is to provide adequate security for the people of the state without fair or favour. Such dastard act connot happen in the state and you expect us to fold our arms. We want to also assure you that no innocent person would be arrested in this course.”
Egbetokun however emphasised that, “More arrests would be made because some people are still hiding. All the perpetrators will be brought to book no matter how highly placed.”
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Ex-Nigerian Minister, Kola Jamodu installed as Asiwaju of Ere Kingdom (PHOTOS)
- IEYDA applauds Police, Army, others over peaceful conduct of polls
- How FG punished me for going to court over naira policy – Gov Matawalle
- Nigeria’s total public debt stock hits N46.25trn in Q4 2022 – NBS
- Asari Dokubo leads solidarity walk for President-Elect Tinubu in Rivers State
- MC Oluomo bans illegal Agbero taxes in part of Lagos
- Justice AbdulMuttalib Ambali’s demise, great loss to humanity Emir Sulu-Gambari
- TRIBUTE TO LATE HON. JUSTICE MUTALLIB AHMAD AMBALI OFR
- UNILORIN don, Prof. Aishatu Gobir gets new appointment, group reacts
- Ikpeazu sacks all Special Advisers, Aides