Facts have emerged on how former President Olusegun Obasanjo was picked as the candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, (PDP) in 1999.
Former Jigawa state governor, Sule Lamido, in his fresh revelation said that the search of a true national leader who could placate the southwest for the annulment of the June 12, 1993 presidential elections believed to have been won by the late Chief MKO Abiola led to the emergence of Obasanjo as the president in 1999.
Lamido, who spoke at the 15th Daily Trust Dialogue in Abuja, on Thursday, January 18, also told President Muhammadu Buhari to be honourable to accept defeat in the 2019 presidential election just like former President Goodluck Jonathan did in 2015 as a way of proving his integrity as a leader.
But the national chairman of the National Rescue Movement, Senator Saidu Dansadau, said the former Jigawa governor was being economical with the truth, adding that Obasanjo was never a candidate of northern politicians, but picked by a section of the military who wanted one of them to continue in office. Going down memory lane, Lamido who was one of the three key speakers at the Dialogue said:
“Under June 12, my party, the Social Democratic Party (SDP) won an election that was very transparent and we were all part of that process. We all worked for a very wonderful transition and had elections which were credible, open, and transparent but were annulled.
“Somehow, the west which produced the president was terribly aggrieved that their son, late Moshood Abiola, even though they never liked him, they only saw the fulfillment of their becoming president, which is something none of them has done and so.
“The annulment was seen as a ploy to deny a Yoruba man the opportunity of becoming president. Then Abacha came and we all know what happened. Those people who are now laying claim to a new found democracy were active participants in Abacha’s government.
- PHOTO NEWS: Reception in honour A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN in Abuja
- Adeleke suspends Osun election commission chair, members
- A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN: Celebrating A Prince In The Silk (PHOTOS)
- HND holders to be employed as assistant lecturers in polytechnics – NBTE
- Naira notes redesign’ll control inflation in Nigeria — Don
- Adeleke directs heads of LGAs to take over from sacked council chairmen
- My son will play for Super Eagles – Oliseh
- Man jailed one year for possessing 101 PVCs in Sokoto
- PVCs, ballot boxes, destroyed after an attack on Ebonyi INEC office
- Gov. Adeleke appoints Chief of Staff, SSG, CPS