Facts have emerged on how former President Olusegun Obasanjo was picked as the candidate of the People’s Democratic Party, (PDP) in 1999.
Former Jigawa state governor, Sule Lamido, in his fresh revelation said that the search of a true national leader who could placate the southwest for the annulment of the June 12, 1993 presidential elections believed to have been won by the late Chief MKO Abiola led to the emergence of Obasanjo as the president in 1999.
Lamido, who spoke at the 15th Daily Trust Dialogue in Abuja, on Thursday, January 18, also told President Muhammadu Buhari to be honourable to accept defeat in the 2019 presidential election just like former President Goodluck Jonathan did in 2015 as a way of proving his integrity as a leader.
But the national chairman of the National Rescue Movement, Senator Saidu Dansadau, said the former Jigawa governor was being economical with the truth, adding that Obasanjo was never a candidate of northern politicians, but picked by a section of the military who wanted one of them to continue in office. Going down memory lane, Lamido who was one of the three key speakers at the Dialogue said:
“Under June 12, my party, the Social Democratic Party (SDP) won an election that was very transparent and we were all part of that process. We all worked for a very wonderful transition and had elections which were credible, open, and transparent but were annulled.
“Somehow, the west which produced the president was terribly aggrieved that their son, late Moshood Abiola, even though they never liked him, they only saw the fulfillment of their becoming president, which is something none of them has done and so.
“The annulment was seen as a ploy to deny a Yoruba man the opportunity of becoming president. Then Abacha came and we all know what happened. Those people who are now laying claim to a new found democracy were active participants in Abacha’s government.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- EFCC traces N130m illegal trasnfer into ex-Speaker Patricia Etteh’s account
- FCTA laments influx of beggars from states
- NERC releases update on alleged Tariff increment
- Saraki woos Osun PDP delegates, canvasses support for Adeleke
- PHOTO NEWS: Tinubu visits Kwara, salutes Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Tinubu assures of victory against any PDP candidate
- KWACCIMA pleads with FG to reopen Kwara, Niger borders
- Minister promises NDC more supports for effective performance
- 2023: Why I want to contest for Ilorin West/ Asa Reps— Ajia
- BREAKING…. Many school children, others affected as explosion rocks Kano