The Minister of Women Affairs, has applauded the victory of the Nigerian Candidate to the UN CEDAW Committee, Esther Eghobamien-Mshelia.
ROYAL NEWS reports that Eghobamien-Mshelia emerged victorious at the 22nd Meeting of States parties to the Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Discrimination against Women (CEDAW), at United Nations Headquarters in New York on 22 June 2022.
Tallen, in a statement issued at weekend said: “Eghobamien-Mshelia is one of the twelve (12) members elected by States parties of the Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women to replace those whose terms of office are due to expire on 31 December 2022. The terms of members elected will commence on 1 January 2023 and expire four years later on 31 December 2026.”
The minister furthers that, “Nigeria’s emergence as a member of the CEDAW is indeed one of the legacy of the Muhammadu Buhari-led administration in supporting Nigerian Women to occupy visible leadership positions at the International space.”
Tallen however thanked all the stakeholders in who contributed to the actualization of the position especially, Ministers, Diplomats and Envoys adding that “The exception role of UN Women and the Civil Societies in the achievement as unprecedented.
“Gratitude to Bishop Tina Bawa of the Ministerial Technical Committee on Private Sector Initiatives, Dr. Abiola Akiyode-Afolabi of WARD-C, Toun Sonaiya of Women Radio and several others too numerous to mention.”
The Minister therefore said: ” I have no doubt that Esther Eghobamien-Mshelia will do us proud in the journey ahead. We must therefore rise above our differences to ensure that succeeds in flying the Nigeria colours high.”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Cameroon seeks AIB-N support on aircraft accident investigation
- Professionalism, training motivation, support are catalyst for transformed education system– Stakeholders
- Emir Sulu-Gambari prays for Doyen of Geology, Prof. Oyawoye at 95
- Again, Buhari urges ASUU to call off strike
- Kwara Govt secondary school without classrooms
- NBA lauds Bala Mohammed for signing judiciary autonomy bill into law
- APC Chieftain lauds Faleke’s appointment as Secretary of APC Presidential Campaign
- Transform Raw Materials To Finished and Revenue Generating Product – FG
- Afritel trains journalists on good governance, accountability reporting
- Soludo suspends LG chairman over wife’s death