2023 Elections: Accept tribunal’s verdict as final — Gowon urges Nigerians
As Nigerians await the hearing of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal which will start on Monday May 8, former Head of State, General Yakubu Gowon (rtd), has urged Nigerians to accept the decisions of the Presidential Election Petition Tribunal as final when delivered.
Speaking at a symposium in honour of a one-time Justice of the Supreme Court, Justice Chike Idigbe on Thursday, May 4, Gowon urged Nigerians to allow the courts do its work without interference.
“We need to allow the apex court to come up with their decisions and for the public to be humble enough to accept their decision as final in order to maintain the sanctity of the judiciary as individuals and institutions.
“The litigation tribunals that are now going, let us give the judiciary the opportunity to do their work and let us accept their decisions as it is,” Gowon said.
Peter Obi of the Labour Party and Atiku Abubakar of the People’s Democratic Party challenge president-elect, Bola Ahmed Tinubu’s electoral win.
Peter Obi and Atiku are claiming to be the actual winners of the February 25 presidential election which was conducted the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).
According to the results released by INEC, Tinubu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) polled 8.8 million votes to defeat Atiku Abubakar of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who scored 6.9 million votes, Peter Obi of the Labour Party (LP) who polled 6.1 million votes and 15 others.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Tinubu commiserates with India over deadly train crash
- N2bn: Ex-Women Affairs Minister, Pauline Tallen reacts to rumoured EFCC’s arrest
- EFCC grills Buhari’s minister Pauline Tallen
- UN appoints Akinwumi Adesina, Muhtar, Nwuneli into new positions
- We won’t fix petrol prices again – NMDPRA
- Court affirms Iyorchia Ayu’s sack as PDP National Chairman
- Importer to CBN: Tell the truth, Naira has been devalued
- NLC to commence nationwide strike on Wednesday if new petrol price isn’t reversed
- Breaking….. Tinubu announces critical appointments, Gbajabiamila, Akume, Hadejia make list
- FG to fix one refinery before December — Kyari