Connect with us

Uncategorized

21 die, 22 hospitalised after drinking local gin

Published

on

ABOUT Twenty-one people have died in Cam21 die, 22 hospitalised after drinking local gineroon after consuming a locally produced alcoholic drink that can often be toxic, state radio said.

A further 22 people are hospitalized in the eastern town of Abong-Bang after drinking odontol, CRTV said late Tuesday.
Authorities in the affected areas of eastern Cameroon banned the production and sale of the drink after the deaths.

Odontol is produced from palm wine, sugar and tree bark and sold outside of traditional shops at a low price. The alcohol content varies, and it can often be powerful.

21 die, 22 hospitalised after drinking local gin

CRTV said 18 people have died in the commune of Mindourou and three in Abong-Bang after consuming “a cursed drink called odontol”.

It said some of the victims were women.

“When I see you (my) eyes start turning,” Angeline, one of those hospitalised in Anong-Bang and who had consumed just “two glasses” of odontol, told CRTVC. (AFP)

Facebook Comments Box

DOWNLOAD ROYAL NEWS eCOPY March 28, 2022


Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.

Contact: info@royalnews.com.ng

Download ROYAL NEWS app

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.