29yr-old bags two yrs for stealing rice, drinks
An Osogbo Magistrate’s Court on Monday sentenced 29-year-old Fatai Ganiyu to two years’ imprisonment for stealing 10 bowls of uncooked rice and four bottles of alcoholic drink.
The convict was first arraigned in court on October 10, 2016, when the prosecutor, Mr. Mereti Wilson, told the court that the 10 bowl of rice that Ganiyu stole was worth N8,000, while the bottles of drink was valued at N10,000.
The prosecutor had told the court that the convict broke into the shop of one Okeola Comfort of the Oke Ayepe area, Gbongan, at about 2am and stole the goods.
He had said, “Fatai committed an offence contrary to and punishable under sections 283 and 414 of the Criminal Code, Cap 34, vol. II, Law of Osun State, Nigeria 2002, punishable under Section 390(9) of the Criminal Code, Cap 34, vol.II, Law of Osun State, Nigeria, 2002.”
The convict, who was represented in the court by his counsel, Mr. Seye Oluyombo, pleaded guilty to the two counts preferred against him.
The magistrate, Mrs. Adejunoke Olowolagba, said she found Ganiyu guilty on two counts of intent and stealing. She sentenced him to one year each for the two counts. The jail terms are to run cumulatively.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Fuel subsidy: Court stops NLC, TUC, others from embarking on strike
- Kwara Gov meets labour leaders on fuel subsidy removal
- Fuel subsidy: Kwara govt. reduces workdays for civil servants
- Zlatan Ibrahimovic announces retirement from football
- NYSC presents court with documents to prove certificate forgery by Peter Mbah
- Reactions trail ‘drop’ in cooking gas price
- Professionalism and Patriotism: Toun Okewale’s achievements speak loudly
- About 490,000 Job Opportunities Awaiting Nigerians Here—NDPB
- Subsidy: Electricity workers to embark on nationwide strike
- Return missing bullet proof jeeps within 5 days– Zamfara Gov tells Matawalle