The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has announced that all matches of Days 3 and 4 of the AFCON qualifiers ‘Cameroon 2021′, scheduled from 11 to 17 November, will be played behind closed doors, despite an overall downward trend in the spread of the coronavirus in Africa.
CAF took this decision at the end of a video conference with National Security and Safety Officers (NSSOs) of its member federations on Thursday.
The NSSOs were trained and informed on “the new safety and security protocol imposed by the Covid-19 pandemic”, towards the resumption of the AFCON 2021 playoffs, suspended since November 2019 because of the coronavirus.
According to Dr Christian Emeruwa, head of the Department of Safety and Security at CAF, the objective of this measure “is to ensure uniformity of safety and security operations throughout Africa”.
Faced with the enormous task of keeping spectators and fans away from stadiums, a CAF press release said that the need was felt to “guide all national security and safety officers”, as well as those of CAF, “on best practices”.
For the African football governing body, “the protection of players and officials before, during and after matches is of great importance.’
Hence the need to ensure “effective coordination between safety and security officers and all other health workers who will be involved in the organisation of each match,” said the statement issued Thursday.
Contact: [email protected]
- First Bank team visits KAM Holding CEO, Kamoru Yusuf in Ilorin
- After jumping bail, EFCC produces fugitive ex-pension boss Maina in court
- Osun Assembly to work speedily on Bill to protect people living with disabilities
- Sanction contractors who fail to complete projects, FRC advises MDAs
- Children with disabilities most disadvantaged during COVID-19 – UNICEF
- Verdict expected as trial of exiled journalist resumes in Turkey
- FG approves charges on new Lagos-Ibadan rail
- Libyan justice ministry welcomes lifting of travel ban on Gadhafi family members
- Lawyer solicits support for orphanages
- India’s central bank projects faster economic recovery
- News11 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen
- Metro8 months ago
BREAKING…. Kwara govt announces total lockdown in Offa
- Education1 year ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
- Politics11 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
- News2 years ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)