Football legend, Lionel Messi may have played his last game for Barcelona after it was confirmed by the club he will miss Sunday’s clash against Eibar.
Barca will finish their campaign with a trip to Eibar and are out of the title race so have nothing to play for.
Messi whose contract with Barcelona expires on July 1, has been given permission by Ronald Koeman to sit out this weekend’s game.
“The Argentine Leo Messi has not trained on Friday with the coach’s permission and he will not be in the squad for the game against Eibar on Saturday,” the club confirmed on Friday, May 21.
“The striker can enjoy a rest before next month’s Copa America after a season in which he is one of the players in the squad who has played most.”
Although Messi announced last year that he wanted to leave Barca on a free transfer, Barca are hopeful of convincing him to stay and team-mate Jordi Alba has urged him to stay at the club.
Manchester City and PSG have been touted as clubs that could sign him due to their financial strength with Man City seen as stronger favorites and the presence of former Barcelona coach Pep Guardiola.
Messi has played 47 times in all competitions for Barcelona this season, scoring 38 goals and registering 11 assists.
Barca crashed out of the Champions League at the last-16 stage, and will finish the season with one piece of silverware after winning the Copa del Rey in April.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign