The German champions thrashed fifth-tier Bremer SV 12-0 in a fixture rearranged from early August.
The Bremen club’s big day against the record Cup winners was delayed due to a coronavirus outbreak in their squad, but they duly gave their all against their illustrious opponents.
Bayern Munich coach Julian Nagelsmann rotated heavily with captain Manuel Neuer and star striker Robert Lewandowski among those left at home.
“The way and means was important,” Nagelsmann said. “I think in the first half the structure wasn’t just right, even if it wasn’t dangerous they had some counter-attacks.”
The second period was “better,” felt Nagelsmann and there was particular praise for Choupo-Moting.
He ended the resistance of the Bremen hosts, playing in the stadium of city giants Werder, after just eight minutes.
He contributed a further two goals and was involved in creating Jamel Musiala’s first and an own goal from Jan-Luca Warm all before half-time.
Malik Tillman, two minutes into his Bayern Munich debut after his half-time substitution, made it six.
Musiala completed his brace and Leroy Sane, after being booed in the weekend Bundesliga win over Cologne, added the eighth.
Ugo Nobile of the hosts was pointlessly red-carded for a professional foul.
Goalkeeper Ole Bahr —- substituted on for Malte Seemann —- had to pick the ball out in the last 20 minutes courtesy of Michael Cuisance, Choupo-Moting, Bouna Sarr and Corentin Tolisso.
The Bremen side remained positive and attempted to play football when possible.
But it is Bayern Munich —- after warm handshakes all round —- who enter Sunday’s second round draw where tougher challenges await.
“It was a mega experience,” said Bremer SV coach Benjamin Eta. “Even when it was six or seven we kept trying to play, I found that good.
“You could see that we wanted something even if we couldn’t do it.”
Bayern Munich’s win was their second-highest since their 1965 promotion to the Bundesliga, falling short only to the 1997 Cup win over DJK Waldberg 16-1.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign