An Islamic female group, Sister’s of Jannah from Ilorin Zone, on Friday took its breast cancer awareness campaign to some selected secondary schools in Ilorin.
The awareness programme, which started at Government Girls’ Day Secondary School, Oke Suna, ended at Queens School, Ilorin.
Mrs Aminah Lawal, who gave the students a lecture on breast cancer and how to conduct self-breast examination, took them through the rudiments of the various types of cancer.
She advised the students to always be observant of their breasts to notice any changes.
“’You also have to inform your parents or guardians if you notice any changes so that you will be taken to the hospital.
“It is better if breast cancer is detected early so as to forestall any calamity that may occur later on,” she said.
The coordinator of the zone, Mrs Monsurah Olohungbebe, told ROYAL NEWS that the group picked secondary schools so as to catch them young for an early detection of breast cancer symptoms among female students.
“’We decided to come to some selected secondary schools because we want to catch them young so that the symptoms of breast cancer can be detected early if there is anything among the female students.
“’This is because an early detection is essential in its management and treatment.
“Also, we picked these schools because the students there are girls only. We were at Queen’s School last year after which some students were detected to be having breast cancer symptoms and were advised to go for surgery.
”So, we are using this as a follow up and also to enlighten others about the disease,”Mrs Olohungbebe said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal