An Islamic female group, Sister’s of Jannah from Ilorin Zone, on Friday took its breast cancer awareness campaign to some selected secondary schools in Ilorin.
The awareness programme, which started at Government Girls’ Day Secondary School, Oke Suna, ended at Queens School, Ilorin.
Mrs Aminah Lawal, who gave the students a lecture on breast cancer and how to conduct self-breast examination, took them through the rudiments of the various types of cancer.
She advised the students to always be observant of their breasts to notice any changes.
“’You also have to inform your parents or guardians if you notice any changes so that you will be taken to the hospital.
“It is better if breast cancer is detected early so as to forestall any calamity that may occur later on,” she said.
The coordinator of the zone, Mrs Monsurah Olohungbebe, told ROYAL NEWS that the group picked secondary schools so as to catch them young for an early detection of breast cancer symptoms among female students.
“’We decided to come to some selected secondary schools because we want to catch them young so that the symptoms of breast cancer can be detected early if there is anything among the female students.
“’This is because an early detection is essential in its management and treatment.
“Also, we picked these schools because the students there are girls only. We were at Queen’s School last year after which some students were detected to be having breast cancer symptoms and were advised to go for surgery.
”So, we are using this as a follow up and also to enlighten others about the disease,”Mrs Olohungbebe said.
Contact: [email protected]
- First Bank team visits KAM Holding CEO, Kamoru Yusuf in Ilorin
- After jumping bail, EFCC produces fugitive ex-pension boss Maina in court
- Osun Assembly to work speedily on Bill to protect people living with disabilities
- Sanction contractors who fail to complete projects, FRC advises MDAs
- Children with disabilities most disadvantaged during COVID-19 – UNICEF
- Verdict expected as trial of exiled journalist resumes in Turkey
- FG approves charges on new Lagos-Ibadan rail
- Libyan justice ministry welcomes lifting of travel ban on Gadhafi family members
- Lawyer solicits support for orphanages
- India’s central bank projects faster economic recovery
- News11 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen
- Metro8 months ago
BREAKING…. Kwara govt announces total lockdown in Offa
- Education1 year ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
- Politics11 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
- News2 years ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)