A 19-year-old girl, Jemila Ibraheem, was on Wednesday remanded in police custody in Lagos State, over alleged murder of her ex-lover’s new girlfriend.
Ibraheem, who is an upcoming actress and resides in Satelite town area of Lagos, was charged with a count of murder.
The court however, did not take her plea.
Magistrate P.E. Nwaka, ordered that the defendant be kept at the Criminal Investigation Department, Panti, Yaba, pending advice from the Lagos State Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
Nwaka, adjourned the case until Jan. 4, 2021, for mention.
Earlier, the prosecutor, ASP Thomas Nurudeen, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on Nov. 18, on Ekoba St., at Monkey Village, Satelite town, Lagos.
According to him, the defendant went to her ex-lover’s house and saw that the deceased, who was the new girlfriend had stayed overnight.
Nurudeen told the court that in a fit of rage, the defendant poured fuel all over the house and used a lighter to set the house on fire, with the deceased inside it.
He further stated that the deceased was rescued from the fire with the help of some neighbors but later died at the hospital as a result of all the burns she sustained.
Nurudeen noted that the alleged offence contravenes Section 223 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015. (revised)
ROYAL NEWS reports that murder is punishable with death.
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note