A 19-year-old girl, Jemila Ibraheem, was on Wednesday remanded in police custody in Lagos State, over alleged murder of her ex-lover’s new girlfriend.
Ibraheem, who is an upcoming actress and resides in Satelite town area of Lagos, was charged with a count of murder.
The court however, did not take her plea.
Magistrate P.E. Nwaka, ordered that the defendant be kept at the Criminal Investigation Department, Panti, Yaba, pending advice from the Lagos State Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP).
Nwaka, adjourned the case until Jan. 4, 2021, for mention.
Earlier, the prosecutor, ASP Thomas Nurudeen, told the court that the defendant committed the offence on Nov. 18, on Ekoba St., at Monkey Village, Satelite town, Lagos.
According to him, the defendant went to her ex-lover’s house and saw that the deceased, who was the new girlfriend had stayed overnight.
Nurudeen told the court that in a fit of rage, the defendant poured fuel all over the house and used a lighter to set the house on fire, with the deceased inside it.
He further stated that the deceased was rescued from the fire with the help of some neighbors but later died at the hospital as a result of all the burns she sustained.
Nurudeen noted that the alleged offence contravenes Section 223 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015. (revised)
ROYAL NEWS reports that murder is punishable with death.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- NBC revokes licences of Ray Power FM, Silverbird TV, 50 other stations
- Nigerian Govt to block access to online loan firms
- No short shelf doses of COVID-19 vaccines in Nigeria — FG
- NiMet predicts 3-day rains, thunderstorms from Friday
- Emirates suspends flights to, from Nigeria
- Flight tickets skyrocket as aviation fuel hits N903
- PDP constitutes caretaker committee for Osun
- Osun Guber: Court strikes out suit against Ademola Adeleke
- Strike: Federal Govt’s offer miserable — ASUU
- Poultry farmers lament high cost of raw material