Justice Sikiru Oyinloye of the Kwara State High Court sitting in Ilorin has imposed one-year imprisonment on one of the players of Ibrafix Football Club, Ilorin, Baraye Bamidele Saoban, for offences bordering on love scam.
Baraye, 25, who hails from Ilorin, was jailed alongside one Adaraloye Ezekiel, a native of Osi, Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State, for similar offence.
The duo were prosecuted on separate charges by the Ilorin Zonal Command of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC.
The defendants pleaded guilty when the charges were read to them.
Following their pleas, counsel to the EFCC, Rashidat Alao led witnesses in evidence to review the facts of the cases.
The witnesses narrated how actionable intelligence led to the arrest of Baraye and Adaraloye, telling the court that the duo specialized in “Yahoo-Yahoo business”.
Items recovered from the defendants at the point of arrest including iPhones, incriminating messages printed from their devices and manager’s cheque raised as restitution were tendered and admitted by the court.
Alao urged the court to convict the defendants since there was no contrary evidence to disprove the prosecution’s claim against them.
Justice Oyinloye in his judgment on Wednesday, September 22, 2021 said the court was convinced that the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt based on the plea of guilt entered by the defendants and the uncontroverted evidence tendered against them.
The judge sentenced Baraye to a term of one year imprisonment with option of fine of N150,000 (One Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira). He also ordered the convicted footballer to forfeit the iPhone recovered from him at the point of arrest as well as the draft of N26,000 (Twenty Six Thousand Naira) which he raised as restitution to his victims to the Federal Government.
In similar vien, Adaraloye bagged a jail term of six months with option of fine of N250,000 (Two Hundred and Fifty Thousand Naira) . The judge also ordered that the manager’s cheque of N600,000 (Six Hundred Thousand Naira) which he raised as restitution to his victims as well as the iPhone used in perpetrating the crime be forfeited to the Federal Government.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign