The Akanu Ibiam International Airport, Enugu which was closed on for rehabilitation and upgrade on 24th of August 2019 is 90-95 percent ready for reopening for commercial activities on August 30th.
The Minister of Aviation, Sen. Hadi Sirika disclosed this after inspecting the work progress at the airport on Tuesday, noting that the government had initially fixed April as the date for the reopening of the airport but hold on due to COVID-19 pandemic outbreak in and the onset of rain in the country.
“We wanted to make a quick intervention in this procurement to ensure that the once dilapidated runway that was a threat to the safety of our operations have been dealt with.
“We were on course but unfortunately COVID came and the workers took to their heels to ensure that they remain safe. We are back on site and we have made a tremendous amount of progress. We are about 90 to 95 percent completing this job,” said Sirika
The Minister further said the rehabilitation of the runway is on the final wearing course while the perimeter fencing and the road is still on going along other works such as airfield lighting for day and night operations and for it to truly answer its name; Akanu Ibiam International airport, Enugu.
The Minister avers that the quality of runway would make AIA one of the best, if not the best in the country at the moment, as the turning pad is made of concrete unlike other airports where the turning pads are made of asphalt that don’t take the beating given to them due to the weight of the aircraft
Sirika further disclosed that the cargo terminal would be constructed before 2023 before the expiration of the Buhari administration for viable economic activities to take place in the city.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements