Chief Richard Akinjide, (SAN), former Nigeria’s Minister is dead. Akinjide died in his Ibadan home, Oyo state at the age of 88.
According to a source close to the family, the remains of the legal luminary has been deposited at a morgue.
Born in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital in the early 1930s to an influential family of warriors, the late foremost lawyer and Ibadan high chief attended Oduduwa College, Ile-Ife from where he passed out in Grade One (Distinction, Aggregate 6).
He travelled to the United Kingdom in 1951 for his higher education and was called to the English Bar in 1955 and later to the Nigerian Bar. He established his law firm, Akinjide & Co soon after.
The frontline Yoruba leader was a Minister of Education in the first republic, during the government of Prime Minister, Alhaji Tafawa Balewa and Minister for Justice in the second republic, during the administration of President Shehu Shagari.
He was a member of the judicial systems sub-committee of the Constitutional Drafting Committee of 1975-1977 and later joined the National Party of Nigeria in 1978. He became the legal adviser for the party and was later appointed the Minister for Justice.
The late Akinjide, also serves as a chieftain in the Olubadan of Ibadan’s court of clan nobles. As Attorney General, it was under his watch that Nigeria temporarily reversed executions of armed robbers.The Abolition of a decree barring exiles from returning to the country.
He was lead prosecutor in the treason trial of Bukar Zanna Mandara. The eviction of many illegal foreign nationals from Nigeria which contributed to mild violence against some foreigners in the country. The event also exposed some weaknesses within the West African economic community. Late Akinjide was a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic (PDP).
- Make peace your priority, PCN National Commandant, Akoh charges Nigerians
- Update On Doctor Who Performed Surgery For Late Adebola Akin-Bright
- EFCC, FRSC Deepen Collaboration in Fighting Corruption
- DSS Didn’t Arrest Kano Guber Tribunal Judge — Spokesperson
- Bandits kill 10 farmers during harvest in Borno— Lawmaker
- Wike approves revocation of 165 plots of land in FCT
- Breaking….Kano govt. lifts 24hrs curfew
- Commissioner seeks synergy with revenue agency in Kwara
- We’re committed to Gov. AbdulRazaq’s Ease-of-Doing-Business in Kwara–Commissioner
- Kwara Govt launches distribution of textbooks, sports kits for public basic schools