There are indications that the government might consider releasing some arrested bandits as a part of the bargains to secure the release of 27 pupils and 15 workers of Government Science College, Kagara, in the Rafi Local Government Area of Niger State, kidnapped on Wednesday.
It was learnt on Friday that the group of bandits responsible for the abduction wanted their gang members in custody of security agencies released as a swap deal to free the abductees.
Bandits in military uniform had reportedly stormed the school around 2am on Wednesday, and seized their victims, killing a Senior Secondary School 3 pupil who raised the alarm in the process.
They consequently led their victims – tied in pairs – to a nearby spot around Attahiru Secondary School where they had reportedly parked their motorcycles and whisked them into a forest.
In a bid to secure their release, a reliable source reveals that officials of Niger and Zamfara state governments met some bandits at Dutsin Magaji of Kotonkoro Forest in Rafi on Thursday evening.
The forest reportedly connects the four states of Kebbi, Zamfara, Niger and Kaduna.
It was also said that a popular Kaduna-based cleric, Ahmad Gumi, met some bandits in Niger State as part of efforts to rescue the victims
The Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, had also deployed 252 additional operatives and a helicopter to reinforce the ongoing rescue operation for the abducted pupils and staff members of the school.
Gunmi on Friday told one of our correspondents that he had met with an influential leader of a bandit group to broker a negotiation with the bandits responsible for the kidnapping.
The cleric emphasised that banditry was turning into an insurgency which must be urgently addressed, noting that the abductors were demanding the release of their members arrested by security agents as well.
He said, “I met with people who know the people responsible (for the abduction), which is one step ahead. Before now, when there was a kidnapping, we wouldn’t know those responsible, but now, we have met a leader who knows (these people) because he is commanding a large area and knows the person who did it and he is going to speak to him and plead with him (to release the abducted pupils and other victims. Since there is a peace process going on, they should release them. They (the bandits) too have people arrested by security agents. So, I am telling people, this is turning into an insurgency.”
Asked if the bandits were demanding the release of their arrested members as a condition to release the victims, Gumi said, “They did not really give it as a condition. We are just saying, ‘Please release them,’ and they said, ‘Okay, we will release them (the pupils and staff members of the school) but we also want you people to consider our people (bandits) that were arrested.’”
Contact: [email protected]
- Trucks carrying foodstuff from the north allegedly stopped from entering the south-west (video)
- Traffic officers to start wearing body cameras – LASTMA boss Olajide Oduyoye
- Ex-Federal High Court Chief Judge, Adamu Abdu-Kafarati dies at 67
- How kidnappers abducted woman at gunpoint in Bayelsa, forced her to ATM points, withdrew money from her accounts and demanded ransom from family
- Benue man cuts off his penis to be able to control his libido
- Meghan Markle joins Prince Harry and James Corden on video call during tell-all interview then calls Harry a sweet pet name (video)
- Lady refuses to testify against ex-boyfriend who killed her mother after falling in love with him for the second time
- 317 girls were abducted from Zamfara school – Police
- Stunning Nigerian twin sisters mark their 18th birthday with beautiful photos; people are in awe of their age!
- Suspected bandits abduct 300 schoolgirls in Zamfara
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen
- News1 year ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
- Metro11 months ago
BREAKING…. Kwara govt announces total lockdown in Offa
- Education1 year ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
- Politics1 year ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
- News2 years ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)