FG slams Reuters over abortion report against military

Date:

The Federal Government says the Reuter’s report that the Nigerian military ran a secret mass abortion programme in the war against Boko Haram is fake news, disinformation and a ploy to demoralise and distract the fighting forces.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, stated the government’s position on Monday in Abuja at the 10th edition of the (PMB) Administration Scorecard Series (2015-2023).

He said the news agency made the grave allegation without a scintilla of evidence, citing only anonymous sources and the reported review of phantom ‘documents’.

“The agency claimed that its investigation was based on interviews with 33 women and girls.

“How do they use interviews with 33 women and girls to arrive at the bogus claim of 10,000 abortions?

“And in a further indication that the figure of abortions quoted was arbitrary or possibly conjured, the agency first put the figure at 12,000 before settling for 10,000,” he said.

Mohammed reiterated the federal government’s position that there was no ‘secret, systematic and illegal abortion programme’ being run by the military in the Northeast or anywhere across the country.

He also queried the basis for the so-called investigation at a time the military had been recording successes in decimating the terrorists and rescuing abducted persons.

Facebook Comments Box

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Share post:

Subscribe

Latest

More like this
Related

APC Governorship Aspirant David Kente Withdraws Hours Before Primary Election

Less than 24 hours before the All Progressives Congress...

Oyo Community Demands Release of Kidnapped Schoolchildren

A protest erupted in Oyo State on Wednesday as...

Why I’m silence, Fubara reveals as he withdraws from APC primaries

Governor Siminalayi Fubara of Rivers State has withdrawn from...

Anger as Protesters Kick Against Yahaya Bello’s Senate Move

Hundreds of aggrieved residents from Kogi Central on Wednesday...

Oyo Crisis: Sea King Blasts Igboho for Staying Silent

Nigerian TikToker Olumide Ogunsanwo, popularly known as Sea King,...

Technical Training Students Cry Out Over Withheld Stipends

Thousands of Nigerian youths enrolled in the Federal Government’s...

APC Primaries: Over 70 National Assembly Lawmakers Set to Exit in 2027

No fewer than 70 serving members of the National...