Four couples have been caned with up to 20 lashes for having sex outside of marriage in Indonesia.
The men and women were publicly flogged in the ultra-conservative Aceh province governed by Sharia law on Monday, March 8.
The couples, wearing face masks, were reportedly checked by medical officials before they were escorted in handcuffs to the rug where they knelt to receive the lashings.
The brutal punishment was handed out by a hooded cane-wielding enforcer who could not be seen.
Aceh is the only province in the world’s most populous Muslim-majority country that imposes Islamic law. About 98 percent of Aceh’s five million residents are Muslims.
Human rights groups have slammed public caning as cruel, and Indonesia’s President Joko Widodo has also called for it to end but the law has strong support among Aceh’s population.
See more photos below.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal