ROYAL NEWS gathered that the newly appointed committees will be inaugurated next week Monday by the state governor, a statement issued in Ilorin by the Senior Special Assistant to Governor Ahmed on Media and Communications, Dr. Muideen Akorede, revealed.
The state house of assembly had earlier on Wednesday gave approval to Governor AbdulFatah Ahmed to constitute caretaker Committees for the 16 Local Government councils dissolved on Friday, 4th November, 2016.
The assembly gave the approval during Wednesday plenary after accepting an explanation from the state Attorney General, Alhaji Kamaldeen Ajibade on the rationale behind the constitution of caretaker Committees for the councils.
The House invited the state attorney General and Commissioner for Justice on the floor of the House to brief the House on reasons of granting Governor’s request.
Ajibade in his submission which lasted less than hour told the House that the Governor has legal right to constitute caretaker Committees for the 16 councils after dissolution before the expiration of their tenure.
He said since the Governor had earlier dissolved the councils on Friday, 4th November before their expiration date of Thursday, 10th November, emergence of caretaker Committees is constitutional.
The state attorney General who cited Kwara state law 2008 to buttressed his point said the intention of the Governor not to allow the administration in the councils remain dormant is in order.
“By the power conferred on the Governor passed by this House, the Governor has the power to dissolve councils for three months to run the councils”, Ajibade said.
The Speaker, Dr Ali Ahmad after entertaining questions from some Members including the House Leader, Hassan Oyeleke who agreed with the Governor’s intention announced the approval of the constitution of caretaker Committees for the 16 councils.
The Speaker urged the Governor to ensure the the incoming councils pay ll unpaid salaries to ex Local Government Councilors and Workers.
- SMEDAN empowers 90 youth with sewing machines, others in Plateau
- Rukaiya Atiku backs husband as ‘only candidate who supports women’
- Eto’o tenders apology over violent conduct
- Atiku visits Ooni, pledges restructuring
- Buhari transmits FCT 2023 Budget to Senate
- Obi has nothing to offer Nigerians says APC
- Morocco win Spain 3-0 on penalty knock out
- Kanye celebrates Saint’s 7th birthday at Kim’s house
- NiMet alerts on thick dust haze in Kano, Katsina, others
- Naira redesigned: Maximum cash withdrawal now N100,000