Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the national leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), is hale and hearty, according to his close aide former senator Tokunbo Afikuyomi.
Afikuyomi’s remark comes on the heels of Governor Simon Lalong’s claims that Tinubu was absent at last Saturday’s Ondo state APC governorship rally due to ill-health. But according to Afikuyomi, Plateau state governor Lalong lied, Premium Times reports.
In a statement, the one-time Lagos state commissioner described the claim credited to the Plateau state governor as incorrect. Afikuyomi said:
“I travelled to the United States of America with Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu to witness the recent U.S. elections. We traversed a number of cities together where we engaged with a number of Nigerians who are genuinely concerned about the state of affairs in our dear country. Jagaban was in a remarkable state of mental and physical wellness. When we ended our trip, I saw him off to the airport in Chicago from where he headed for Europe again. I still met with him in Europe thereafter.
“It is therefore absolutely incorrect and most embarrassing for anyone to attempt to invent such a laughable reason for Asiwaju Bola Tinubu’s absence at the rally. The fact that somebody went for medical check-up does not mean he is ill.
In the likely event that Asiwaju, like all mortals, was ill at all, I doubt if Lalong would be the first to know by reason of relationship, proximity and trust. “Prominent politicians like Ogun state governor Ibikunle Amosun have been speaking with Jagaban Tinubu.
“Governor Amosun particularly communicated with him a day before the Ondo rally and he can never claim not to have spoken with him. I have also remained in constant touch with Asiwaju Tinubu since my arrival in Nigeria. We speak daily as a matter of fact.
“I have been inundated with calls by friends, associates and other well-meaning Nigerians trying to ascertain the veracity of this ludicrous claim. I hereby ask all friends and lovers of Asiwaju Tinubu to dismiss the claim and know that he is hale and hearty.”
- 2023 elections: NUT opens up on candidate to vote
- World Cancer Day: DevComms advocate public literacy for earlier detection
- Fuel Scarcity: Transporters Demand Removal of Sylva, Kyari
- APC postpones presidential campaign rally in Oyo indefinitely
- Ibadan records another protest over scarcity of fuel, new naira notes
- Peter Obi arrives Kwara for Presidential Campaign rally (photos)
- 13 parties vow to withdraw from election if new naira deadline extends
- UNILORIN VC seeks upgrade of molecular lab to public health lab
- Naira, Fuel, scarcity take shine off 44th Kaduna International Trade Fair
- I paid ₦1,000 for litre– Oshiomhole laments fuel scarcity, price