Gusau expresses interest to run for Certified Athletic Administrator Presidency
The former president of the Athletics Federation of Nigeria (AFN), Shehu Ibrahim Gusau, has indicated interest in contesting the Certified Athletic Administrator (CAA) presidency, the highest position in African athletics.
AFN President, Tonobok Okowa, disclosed this during Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the federation. Okowa revealed to members of the Congress that Gusau has written to seek for nomination and endorsement by the AFN. The former Nigerian lawmaker will be the first Nigerian in over two decades to vie to be President of CAA.
ROYAL NEWS reports that World Athletics, the NOC and the Federal Ministry of Youth and Sports Development have recognized the Okowa-led board as the legitimate board of the AFN
Findings revealed that last year, Gusau lost in his bid to become President of the Nigeria Olympic Committee after the electoral body for the election rejected his candidature.
He was reported to have signed his nomination form as the president of the federation. It was also gathered that this same scenario was recreated during the African Region II elections in Ghana, early this month.
Gusau is challenging the legitimacy of the Okowa-led board in court and insists that the June 14 elective congress held in Abuja was illegal and decisions taken thereof including Okowa’s election remain null and void.
Instead, he is claiming that the June 14 elective congress convened by him remains the legitimate one despite World Athletics’ insistence that the 2017 constitution must be used to conduct the election.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Release arrested Eze Igbo immediately – Igbo Youths to DSS
- Obiajulu Uja: Lawyer claims man arrested mentally challenged
- I can marry man above 60 – Linda John
- WAEC releases 2023 results
- DSS, police arrest Eze Igbo who threatened to invite IPOB to Lagos
- Fayose threatens to sue PDP for suspending him, demands apology
- APC suspends NDDC Chairperson, Lauretta Onochie
- Lagos Govt to repair Third Mainland Bridge on Sunday
- APC group disowns former D-G
- APC optimistic of victory in Sokoto supplementary poll