Hisbah forbids radio station from advertising ‘Black Friday in Kano
The Kano State Hisbah Board, charged with the responsibility of enforcing and entrenching Sharia law in the state, has written a letter to a radio station operating in the state, Cool FM 96.9, for using the term ‘Black Friday’.
Black Friday is an informal name for the Friday following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, which is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. The term is used worldwide to mean a day for promotional sales where goods are sold at discounted prices.
The advert is an agency sponsored promotion distributed for broadcast not only to Cool FM but other stations across the state, although one of the radio stations has modified the advert in the Hausa language.
The letter signed by Abubakar Muhammed Ali, Principal Executive Officer II, on behalf of the Commander-General, titled, ‘Letter of Introduction’ reads in part, “I am directed to write and notify you that the office is in receipt of a complaint for the conduct of ‘Black Friday Sales’ on November 27, 2020.
It stated that that Friday is regarded as a holy day in Islam and tagging it as ‘black’ is derogatory and would not be condoned.
The letter said in view of the foregoing’’ you are requested to stop the calling the day as Black Friday with immediate effect and note that Hisba Corps will be around for surveillance purposes with a view to avoiding the occurrence of any immoral activities as maintaining peace, harmony and stability in the state.’’
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- What Buhari told Nigerians in his 38–paragraph final address
- Yoruba nation promoters take over FG Radio station, declares self-govt
- President Buhari confers citizenship on 385 foreigners
- I have made Nigeria better– Buhari insists
- Bakare utters suprising statements as Tinubu takes over power tomorrow
- Tuition increment: 2 UNIABUJA students expelled
- Defence Minister hand-over to Perm Sec., Ibrahim Kana
- Lagos to ban parking on roads
- South-east eternally grateful for Second Niger Bridge completion– Soludo
- Buhari, Shettima, Sultan, others attend Inauguration in Abuja