The Kano State Hisbah Board, charged with the responsibility of enforcing and entrenching Sharia law in the state, has written a letter to a radio station operating in the state, Cool FM 96.9, for using the term ‘Black Friday’.
Black Friday is an informal name for the Friday following Thanksgiving Day in the United States, which is celebrated on the fourth Thursday of November. The term is used worldwide to mean a day for promotional sales where goods are sold at discounted prices.
The advert is an agency sponsored promotion distributed for broadcast not only to Cool FM but other stations across the state, although one of the radio stations has modified the advert in the Hausa language.
The letter signed by Abubakar Muhammed Ali, Principal Executive Officer II, on behalf of the Commander-General, titled, ‘Letter of Introduction’ reads in part, “I am directed to write and notify you that the office is in receipt of a complaint for the conduct of ‘Black Friday Sales’ on November 27, 2020.
It stated that that Friday is regarded as a holy day in Islam and tagging it as ‘black’ is derogatory and would not be condoned.
The letter said in view of the foregoing’’ you are requested to stop the calling the day as Black Friday with immediate effect and note that Hisba Corps will be around for surveillance purposes with a view to avoiding the occurrence of any immoral activities as maintaining peace, harmony and stability in the state.’’
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank