Kaduna state governor, Nasir el-Rufai, has said that he withdrew his son, Abubakar, from a public school in the state because bandits were targeting him for abduction.
The governor had in September 2019 enrolled Abubakar into the Kaduna Capital School which is a public school in the state. He had said that his decision to send Abubakar to a public school was a way of showing his commitment to fixing public education and raising the standards.
However, during an interview with BBC Pidgin on Thursday, Governor El-Rufai said he has ”temporarily” withdrawn Abubakar and one of his daughters who he had also enrolled in the school when she clocked six years old. He said their withdrawal from the school occurred on the advice of security agencies after they received intel that the children were being targeted by bandits.
He said though he was confident about the ability of the school’s security team, he withdrew his children so they would not pose danger to other pupils in the school.
“My son and my daughter are registered in the school because his sister became six and we had to register her.
But we have had to temporarily withdraw them for the security of the school because we got intercepts from at least two groups that are planning to attack the school to kidnap my son.
I don’t think they will succeed because there will be enough security there to prevent it but other children may be placed in danger.
We have no idea what weapons they will come with. I have taken a stand against paying bandits and at least three groups of bandits have been intercepted planning to go to Kaduna Capital school and kidnap my son and ‘see if they catch my son, I go say I no go pay ransom?”he said.
The governor said Abubakar is currently being homeschooled. He added that his son will, however, take his examinations at Kaduna Capital school.
- Stakeholders set to discuss economic rescue measures through transportation industry
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom