Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to live up to his constitutional duty of securing the country.
Wike said Buhari was not made president to borrow foreign loans alone but to ensure the protection of Nigerians.
He spoke at the commissioning of the 21 kilometres Odufor-Akpoku-Umuoye Road in Etche Local Government Area of the State on Tuesday.
Nigeria sinking by excessive external borrowing – Rights Group tells FG
The governor also cautioned the president against shifting his role of protecting Nigerians to governors.
Wike pointed out that Buhari appointed heads of security agencies in the country, hence he can not ask governors to take charge of security.
He said: “Mr President, you’re the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. You appoint Inspector General of Police (IG), you appoint the Chief of Army Staff, Chief of Naval Staff, the Commissioner of Police (CP), Director of Department of State Service (DSS), and other heads of security. Which one do we appoint? How can people appointed by Mr President be under me? (sic).
“It is not only to borrow money for Nigeria that you’re in charge. You must also be in charge of other things including security.
- World cup riots break out after Morocco’s shock 2-0 win over Belgium
- UK Arrival: Some selected pictures of Emir of Ilorin
- Abuja-Kaduna Rail service starts in 7 days– FG
- Kwara govt. re-opens College of Education, Ilorin
- Dangote plans 300,000 fresh jobs for Nigerians
- Minister Okays Security Measures For Abuja/Kaduna Train Transport Scheme
- Adeleke freezes Osun bank accounts immediately after swearing-in
- Adekeke rename Osun after sworn in as sixth governor
- Nigeria to begin processing of raw gold, others — Minister
- Why we retained workers in Ajaokuta inspite not being fully operational — minister