Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has called on President Muhammadu Buhari to live up to his constitutional duty of securing the country.
Wike said Buhari was not made president to borrow foreign loans alone but to ensure the protection of Nigerians.
He spoke at the commissioning of the 21 kilometres Odufor-Akpoku-Umuoye Road in Etche Local Government Area of the State on Tuesday.
Nigeria sinking by excessive external borrowing – Rights Group tells FG
The governor also cautioned the president against shifting his role of protecting Nigerians to governors.
Wike pointed out that Buhari appointed heads of security agencies in the country, hence he can not ask governors to take charge of security.
He said: “Mr President, you’re the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. You appoint Inspector General of Police (IG), you appoint the Chief of Army Staff, Chief of Naval Staff, the Commissioner of Police (CP), Director of Department of State Service (DSS), and other heads of security. Which one do we appoint? How can people appointed by Mr President be under me? (sic).
“It is not only to borrow money for Nigeria that you’re in charge. You must also be in charge of other things including security.
- Gbenga Power rejoices with Nigerians on 63rd Independence celebrations
- CJN to inaugurate 23 Federal High Court Judges Oct 4.
- US Court Orders Release of Tinubu’s Academic Records in 48 hrs
- Kwara Proposes N239bn Revised Budget To Assembly
- Gamji Association Tasks Youths To Emulate Virtues Of Founding Fathers
- Fagbemi dissociates FG from N50bn plea bargain with Emefiele
- Nigeria @63: Peaceful co-existence is germane for nat’l growth— Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Nigeria @63: Tinubu approves new minimum wage for FG workers
- (PHOTOS) Three Internet Fraudsters Bag Jail Terms In Benin
- Opinion: Celebrating a quintessential ex-Defence Minister, Gen. BS Magashi @ 74