Kano State Government says it has paid over N5b on foreign scholarship students inherited from the previous administration from 2015 to 2021, as well as instituted investigation into the scheme.
Executive Chairman, Kano State Public Complaints and Anti- Corruption Commission, Barr. Muhuyi Magaji Rimigado announced this on Tuesday at a news conference, while briefing journalists on the position of foreign scholarship scheme in the state.
Barr. Rimigado said the state governor, Dr Abdullahi Umar Ganduje has directed the commission to take over the foreign scholarship scheme with a view to unravel the alleged fraudulent activities bedevilling the program, the hardship facing many of the students orchestrated by some of those previously handling the scheme.
‘’Also, the commission intervention is to reveal the involvement of consultants used as intermediaries that make the program easy for manipulation and no standard mode of financing the program at the initial stage,’’ said Muhuyi.
‘’From the SSG office to the Ministry of Higher Education and the Scholarship board lack adequate data about the number of students.’’
‘’It is so surprising that the foreign scholarship that started in 2013 and up to this moment, the students are yet to completely finished their studies’’
‘’You may all be aware that, the past administration had sponsored Kano State Students to study in various countries an initiative which received accolades across the board. It is equally the understanding of people that all those sponsored have their tuition, upkeep, and other necessary financial needs settled by the government at the initial stage.’’
“In contrast, the present Government of Kano State saw the need to involve this agency to supervise, investigate and perhaps take charge of the lingering foreign scholarship crisis which is becoming so worrisome by the day.’’
He explained that however the state governor, Abdullahi Ganduje is particularly worried of an unending demand on the issue which ordinarily ought to have ended for whatever program the students are undergoing since 2013.
‘’As I speak to you now, there are requests for payment of over N430m for students studying abroad,’’ Muhuyi said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Train attack victims: FG reveals details on alleged ransome paid
- AbdulRazaq greets Muslims, attends Kwara’s annual Maulid celebration
- Buhari presents N20.51trn 2023 budget to National Assembly
- Gbajabiamila Pledges Timely Passage of 2023 Budget
- Al-Hikmah varsity Founder offers scholarships to late Sheikh Aboto’s children
- Oil theft has put economic diversification under serious threat—-Lawan
- BREAKING…Appeal Court orders ASUU to call off strike
- Buhari makes last budget presentation as president
- FG declares Monday Oct. 10 as public holiday