The Kwara state chapter of the Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (SWAN) has praised the Federal Government for recognising late football legend, Rashidi Yekini with posthumous award of MON.
Late Yekini, who hailed from Irra, Oyun Local Government Area of Kwara state scored the first goal for Nigeria at the World Cup in 1994, was an integral part of the Super Eagles’ golden era.
The late Yekini was among the 11 outstanding personalities from Kwara, and 456 Nigerians who were conferred with National Honours, and was one of the two that was awarded posthumously from Kwara. The other was Chief Superintendent of Police Benedict Okoh Ajide.
In a release signed by the Secretary of Kwara SWAN, Olayinka Owolewa, the honour is a recognition of the contributions of the late striker to the development of the round leather game in Nigeria, Africa and the world.
While describing the late awardee as a true patriot who paid his dues both at the national and international levels with various clubs, SWAN commended the Federal Government on its decision to honour late Yekini for his services to his fatherland.
Late Yekini, all-time top goalscorer for Nigeria had a successful professional career, which spanned more than two decades, and was mainly associated with Vitória de Setúbal in Portugal, but he also played in six other countries besides his own.
Yekini scored 37 goals as a Nigerian international footballer, and represented the nation in seven major tournaments, including two World Cup Championships, where he scored the country’s first-ever goal in the competition.
He was also named the African Footballer of the Year in 1993. Late Yekini died on May 4, 2012.
- BREAKING… IGP, Usman Baba sentenced to prison
- Arsonists cannot deter us from holding 2023 elections, INEC Chairman
- Bank failure: Depositors’ monies safe– NDIC assures
- FG approves 2-week paternity leave for civil servants
- Labour Party challenges Tinubu to open debate with Peter Obi
- Society for Peace Holds 16th Annual Conference Nov. 30
- If you think migrating legally is good for you, go– Femi Adesina
- Lagos 2023: Two guber candidates step down for Jandor
- Housewife, 20, arrested for allegedly killing her co-wife with pestle in Bauchi
- Buhari’s in-law, Sha’aban resigns from APC