President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, has congratulated the All Progressives Congress, APC and its candidates on their victory in the governorship elections in Kogi and Bayelsa States.
Lawan particularly rejoiced with the Kogi State Governor Yahaya Bello on his re-election and David Lyon for making history as the first governor Bayelsa has elected on a platform different from the outgoing ruling party in the state.
The Senate President, in a statement by his Special Adviser on Media, Mr. Ola Awoniyi, praised President Muhammadu Buhari for ensuring a level playing field that enabled the people to assert their sovereignty and choose their leaders.
“The impressive turnout of voters in the two states is a ringing endorsement of democracy by Nigerians as their preferred system, notwithstanding its current challenges,” Lawan said.
Lawan also thanked the security personnel for their sacrifices for peace and order in the face of great difficulties.
The Senate President enjoined the winners to be magnanimous in victory by accommodating all sections of the state in their governments and development agenda.
Lawan also admonished the electoral umpire, the Independent National Electoral Commission, to learn from the challenges experienced in the two states with a view to constantly improving its institutional performance and the electoral process.
The Senate President called on the relevant agencies to ensure thorough prosecution of the electoral offenders in the two states to serve as deterrence to others.
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn