*Congratulates Akpata, other executives
As the National Assembly begins the process of constitutional amendment, the Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, has sought better working relationship between the legislature and the Nigerian Bar Association, NBA.
Lawan, in a congratulatory message to the newly elected president of the NBA, Mr. Olumide Akpata and other executive members of the association, said this has become necessary, especially under the new leadership with a view to strengthening the rule of law and administration of justice in Nigeria.
He described the NBA as a pillar of democracy given the pivotal role of the legal profession in ensuring order and justice in the polity.
“The need for cooperation between the National Assembly and the NBA is even more cogent now in the light of the impending process of constitutional amendment on which the designated parliamentary committee is poised to go full blast as soon as parliament resumes from the current recess.
“We at the National Assembly will count on the inputs of members of the public and in particular the respected members of the bar in the efforts to fine-tune our constitution,” Lawan explained in the statement signed by his Special Adviser on Media, Ola Awoniyi.
The Senate President noted that Akpata and his team had convinced their learned colleagues that they possess the experience, integrity and capacity to lead their revered association and must now strive to live up to the high expectations.
While wishing the new executive members a successful tenure, he enjoined them to continue to promote the tenets of their noble profession for the good of the country.
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn