The Director of Corporate Affairs, University of Ilorin, Mr Kunle Akogun, has called for proper deployment of the mass media in combating the menace of drug abuse and internet fraud.
Akogun stated this while delivering a paper titled “Using Media Sensitisation to Curb Drug Abuse and Internet Fraud at this year’s edition of the annual public lecture of Prudent Watch held at the NUJ Press Centre, Ilorin.
The Director, who was represented at the event by the Deputy Editor of UNILORIN BULLETIN, Mr Abubakar Imam, explained that the two cancerous tendencies have eaten deep into the fabric of our society and that the media, being an important agent of socialisation, mobilisation and education, must be effectively used to fight them.
The renowned journalist, who identified the socioeconomic effects of drug abuse and internet fraud, said that the media must not lend itself to misuse of any form, particularly those that would tend to promote all forms of indecency.
He added that the media must assume the moral obligation of informing the public about drugs and drug abuse as it must also constantly report the trial and punishment meted to purveyors of internet fraud to stem the tide.
Mr Akogun also implored the media to create awareness on the dangerous effects that drugs could have on human health and sanity.
He added that the media, while prioritising the campaign against drug abuse and internet fraud among the youths in their reportage, should also sensitise the parents on the need for them to help in winning the fight against drug abuse among their children and wards.
Mr Akogun also said that parents should also be encouraged, through massive media sensitisation, to start inculcating in their children early, the essence of a responsible and healthy living.
- (PHOTOS) NLC Protest: Mammoth crowd hit Abuja streets over hardship
- Oyebanji Unveils N12bn Economic Relief Programme
- (PHOTOS) Ex-Finance Minister, Okonjo-Iweala bags Timor Leste’s second highest national honour
- Kwara CP sues for peaceful demonstration ahead of planned protest (FULL STATEMENT)
- Nnamdi Kanu knows fate on fresh bail battle March 19
- Ex-DSP, Ekweremadu commends Nigerians for solidarity, prayers
- 16, 920 applicants jostle for UNILORIN’s admission
- 3 kids of same parents die of suffocation in Ilorin
- SERAP sues Wike, 36 govs ‘over failure to account for missing N40trn LGAs allocations’
- Lifted sanctions: Begin democratic process now, Northern Senators task Niger