Recall that there has been a lingering communal crisis between Ezza-Effium and Effium people since January this year, which resulted in the killing of hundreds of persons and destruction of property worth millions of Naira.
Ebonyi State Governor, Chief David Umahi had summoned and arrested prominent leaders as well as stakeholders of the two communities in a bid to end the killings, but the two warring communities have remained adamant.
When contacted, the Commissioner for Internal Security, boarder peace and conflict resolution, Mr. Stanley Okoro Emegha confirmed the renewed killings but threatened that the state government will clampdown and rearrest the stakeholders for allowing the war to subsist.
According to him: “As for how many that were killed this morning, police will let us know. Government has done what it’s supposed to do to make sure that the peace which lasted for three weeks now is sustained. But the State government will not be tired of tackling this security situation in that community.
“We will find out what is really the problem again that caused this renewed crisis.
“We are not yet sure whether those killed were up to four or six persons as people who are from that place are saying. It is still a rumour until we are sure. However, it is the duty of the government to provide security and we have deployed more troops to the place.
“I don’t know why this has continued, in fact, the state government will take a certain measure that is harder. We will ensure that all the stakeholders are rearrested,” he stated.
However, an unconfirmed report from sources in Effium community alleged that over twenty innocent persons were reportedly killed by warlords during the renewed hostilities.
In a swift reaction, the Commissioner of Police, Ebonyi State Command, CP. Aliyu Garba confirmed that it is only one person that was killed in the renewed hostilities in Effium community.
“Police is doing everything possible to put an end to the crisis in Effium community. We have understood the modus operandi on how both Ezza-Effium and Effium operate. There is no need of blowing Effium crisis. Only one person was killed,” he stated.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide