The Minister of Defence Maj. Gen. Bashir Salihi Magashi (rtd) has assured Nigerians of the government’s commitment to flushing out criminal elements from the troubled sports in parts of the country.
He stated this while briefing Chairman and members of the House of Representatives Committee on Defence regarding the Military Technical Cooperation Agreement he signed in Moscow last month between the Governments of the Federal Republic of Nigeria and the Russian Federation.
He said the 5 – year Memorandum of Understanding signed in August last month in Moscow between the two Countries was sequel to the expiration of the 20001 to 20006 Military Technical Cooperation Agreement which he scored its performance very high to warrant its renewal this year.
The defence minister who explained that the Legal document albinitio took cognisance of the National Interests vis- a- vis the Operational Needs Assessment said there is no cause for alarm.
The Minister briefed Babajimi Benson led Committee on Defence that the 8 – point articles of Agreements cover acquisition of modern equipment to strengthen the capabilities of the Nation’s Fighting Forces in the various thearters and Training of the Military officers and personel among other core areas addressed in the document.
The Committee Chairman Babajimi Benson had earlier sought clarifications from the Minister of Defence on the benefits derivablel from the MoU between Nigeria and Russia towards actualising the National aspirations to end insurgency, banditry and kidnapping as well as its likely impact on technological transfer to empower the Defence Industrial Corporation of Nigeria, DICON to which the Minister assured on a win – win deals.
Other members of the Committee took turns to ask salient questions touching on Internal Security Operations, and the State of the Nation’s defence system to which the defence Minister responded appropriately that substantial progress is being recorded in restoring peace to the dark spots in parts of the Country.
The Minister’s visit to the National Assembly was in response to the invitation by the House Committee on Defence to brief Chairman and Members on the Military bilateral Technical Cooperation Agreement between Nigeria and Russia.
- INEC speaks on PVC safety as gunmen burn Anambra office
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN assures petrol will be available in two weeks
- Why we are fighting corruption — Lai Mohammed
- EFCC restates commitments to tackling electoral fraud
- OPINION: As Kunle Akogun Hits Diamond Age
- PHOTO NEWS: Late Emir of Dutse requests to be buried in public cemetery
- N34.1bn generated as IGR in 2022– Kwara Govt
- Buhari inaugurates new MOFI Board, says FG targets N100trn
- Over 50 Emirs, others witness late Dutse monarch’s funeral prayer
- Emir Sulu-Gambari commiserates with Jigawa govt. over Dutse monarch’s death