Tottenham Hotspur manager Jose Mourinho has played down expectations on forward Gareth Bale.
He said on Saturday that the Welshman cannot be the same explosive player who left the English Premier League (EPL) club to join Real Madrid seven years ago.
The 31-year-old Bale, back at Tottenham on loan from the Spanish side, is building up his fitness and has played three games in all competitions this season.
The games included Thursday’s 1-0 Europa League defeat by Belgian league leaders Royal Antwerp.
Mourinho said before that match that Bale was ready to “fly”, but the Portuguese was more measured in his assessment heading into Sunday’s league game against Brighton & Hove Albion.
“Seven years is a long gap. So, which player in the world is the same as he was seven years ago? Sometimes they’re not better or worse, just different players,” Mourinho told reporters.
“You look for example at (Cristiano) Ronaldo and (Lionel) Messi and compare them with seven years ago. They play in different areas, different positions.
“They transform their qualities, try to explore their qualities in other responsibilities on the tactical system of their teams.
“I think it happens with the majority of the players. So for sure he’s a different player.”
Mourinho backed Bale to regain his best form with more minutes under his belt.
“Every word I said on Wednesday I believe, because he’s working hard, he’s improving, he doesn’t have one single injury since he recovered from the last one,” Mourinho added.
“He didn’t miss a single minute of any training session. To play 90 minutes is still hard, to play high intensity is still difficult.
”But he’s improving and, hopefully, he’ll be back to a better level soon.”
- No room for deadline extension, JAMB Registrar, Oloyede warns prospective applicants
- VIDEOS+PHOTOS: When Buhari visited Emir of Kano, Aminu Ado Bayero
- Abiola Bawuah becomes UBA CEO in Africa
- INEC investigates viral video of extortion during PVCs collection in Enugu
- Buhari inaugurates 10mw solar plant in Kano State
- Court remands woman for pouring hot water on her co-wife in Kwara
- UNA-USA Ambassador, Lady Tee Thompson applauds KAM Holding for promoting SDGs
- Why I am not allocating land in FCT – Minister
- Nigeria records 244 confirmed cases of Lassa fever, 37 deaths in 16 states and FCT
- 2023: Kwara Hausa/Fulani community adopts NNPP guber candidate