NDLEA arrests female dealer, eight others in Lagos drug den raid
Nine suspected drug dealers, including their female kingpin, have been arrested by the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) with about 6,000 kilogrammes of assorted drugs during its raid of some illicit drugs dens at Petey axis of Lagos Island, Lagos.
Stating that the raid over the weekend was part of its efforts at stemming the frequent cult clashes among different gangs at Lagos Island axis of the state, the agency listed the female dealer simply as Sherifat, and others as Ahmed, Solomon, Olayemi, Salami, Bakare, Rose, Yusuf and Chukwudi
Confirming the arrests, NDLEA Chief Executive, Brig.-Gen. Buba Marwa (rtd), warned those being used by drug cartels to obstruct and attack anti-narcotic officers in the course of their duty to desist or face dire consequences.
Meanwhile, the NDLEA Director of Media and Advocacy, Femi Babafemi, explained that operatives from the Lagos command had stormed the Gambari Street-base of the drug kingpin, Sherifat, and arrested her and eight others at 9:30am but were obstructed from leaving immediately by members of her cartel.
He disclosed that the officers were able to tactically defend themselves and move the suspects and the drug exhibits from the community, which was already becoming tense.
The suspects’ arrest reportedly prompted the clash between the NDLEA agents and youths of the area, said to have been mobilised by the dealer to foil the raid, as the confrontation degenerated into an exchange of gunshots between the parties.
Other members of the cartel within the axis, he said, had joined in mobilising hoodlums who attacked the operatives with guns, and also pelted them with stones and bottles to forestall the dealers’ arrest and evacuation of the drugs.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- DSS confirms plot by disgruntled elements for Interim Government
- Naira gains, exchanges N461.24 against dollar
- Buhari approves appointment of 6 new Perm Secs.
- Gawuna accepts defeat, congratulates Kano Gov-elect
- Senate urges banks to resume operations in Akwa Ibom
- Man arrested for allegedly raping 9-month-old baby in Lagos
- One Judge dismissed, two others demoted in Niger state
- OYO SUBEB Monitors Unified Exams
- I won’t run from EFCC after handover — Wike
- NASS prescribes 5-yr jail term for defaulters in Fed Audit Bill