The Nigerian Army has confirmed the killing of one officer and 10 soldiers who are on stabilisation operation in Benue State.
The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig.-Gen. Mohammed Yerima, in a statement released on Thursday in Abuja, said the troops were initially declared missing.
According to him, the development led to the deployment of a joint search and rescue team who unfortunately found all the missing troops dead in Konshisha Local Government Area of the state.
Yerima said efforts were ongoing to track down the perpetrators of the crime while the bodies of the slain troops have been evacuated.
“The Nigerian Army under the leadership of the Lt.-Gen. Ibrahim Attahiru, would remain steadfast in ensuring stability in Benue and other parts of the country that are affected by the activities of criminal gangs.
“We are determined to ensure that this continuous attack does not disrupt the general peace being enjoyed by the local inhabitants.
“Moreso, the COAS has directed commanders on ground to ensure that they fish out and deal decisively with these bad elements who are threatening the peace in the area.
“The Nigerian army appeal to the public to volunteer useful information that will lead to the arrest of the master minds behind this dastardly act,” he said.
- 2023 Election: INEC won’t allow PVC collection by proxy
- Gov. Zulum appoints 7 Permanent Secretaries
- PHOTO NEWS: Reception in honour of A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN in Abuja
- Adeleke suspends Osun election commission chair, members
- A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN: Celebrating A Prince In The Silk (PHOTOS)
- HND holders to be employed as assistant lecturers in polytechnics – NBTE
- Naira notes redesign’ll control inflation in Nigeria — Don
- Adeleke directs heads of LGAs to take over from sacked council chairmen
- My son will play for Super Eagles – Oliseh
- Man jailed one year for possessing 101 PVCs in Sokoto