The Kwara State Council of Nigeria Union of Journalists (NUJ) has applauded the federal government for the conferment of National Merit Awards on selected Kwara indigenes, describing the honour as well deserving.
The council said the choice of the state Chief Judge, Justice Sulyman Durosinlorun Kawu for Officer of Federal Republic (OFR); Grand Mufti of Ilorin, Sheik Suleiman Farouq Onikijipa (Officer of the Order of Niger) and Chief Executive Officer of Kam Holdings, Dr Kamoru Ibitoye Yusuf (Member of the Order of Niger) among several others was well thought out in view of their invaluable positive impact on the society.
In a congratulatory message issued in Ilorin today, the state NUJ Chairman, Abdullateef ‘Lanre Ahmed and Secretary, Omotayo Ayanda, noted that the honorees have distinguished themselves in their various fields of endeavours.
President Muhammadu Buhari formally presented the national awards to the honorees at the event held in Abuja yesterday.
The state NUJ, however, observed that the state Chief Judge deserved the national honour with his antecedents as an incorruptible jurist in the temple of justice and for upholding the sanctity of judiciary as independent organ of government.
It said the conferment of Officer of Order of Niger on Sheik Suleiman Farouq Onikijipa was not unconnected with his selflessness in the propagation of Islam and spiritual rebirth.
The state NUJ also lauded the choice of Dr Kamoru Ibitoye Yusuf of Kam Holdings for the national merit award of Member of Order of Niger (MON) with his huge contribution to the manufacturing industry and for being a major employer of labour.
The state NUJ urged the recipients of national awards not to rest on their oars and consolidate on their individual selfless services that spurred the federal government to single them out for the honour.
- Gov. Sule approves N1.5bn for upgrading Nasarawa Broadcasting Service– Commissioner
- Why we are detaining D’Banj – ICPC
- Adeleke denies withdrawing N5bn from Osun accounts
- DMO issues 2 FGN savings bonds at N1,000 per unit
- Adamawa Govt. increases 2023 budget to N175bn
- SMEDAN empowers 90 youth with sewing machines, others in Plateau
- Rukaiya Atiku backs husband as ‘only candidate who supports women’
- Eto’o tenders apology over violent conduct
- Atiku visits Ooni, pledges restructuring
- Buhari transmits FCT 2023 Budget to Senate