The Ogun Commissioner for Agriculture, Dr Adeola Odedina, says that the state government is set to revive young farmers’ club in public secondary schools, with the establishment of modern demonstration farms in the schools.
Odedina made the disclosure in an interview with ROYAL NEWS on Friday in Abeokuta.
He said that the state government, through the Ministries of Agriculture and Education, Science and Technology, was working towards actualising the resuscitation of the club.
The commissioner noted that modern demonstration farms would be established in each of the schools in order to inculcate agricultural practice in students.
He added that agric teachers in the schools would be trained on various agricultural best practices so as to make the programe effective.
“We are trying to ‘catch them young’ by inculcating farming in them. This will encourage them to find farming attractive and see agriculture from another perspective.
“Most of our younger ones believe that only the old people engage in farming; but with this plan, they will find farming interesting and engage in it so as to make them self-reliant, create jobs and eradicate poverty among them,” he said.
The commissioner, however, expressed delight over the achievements recorded so far in agricultural empowerment for youths, adding that this would culminate in food sufficiency in the state.
He also said that a total of 3,500 youths had been empowered in cassava plantation and another 1,165 in rice cultivation, under the Anchor Borrowers’ Programme.
Odedina added that 54 youths had completed three cycles of rearing broilers at the Eweje Farm Institute, Odeda, under the Ogun broiler project.
He also said more than 40,000 small holder farmers had been empowered with planting materials, such as maize seedlings and cassava stems as well as cocoa and cashew seedlings.
- Senate approves Tinubu’s removal of Irukera as FCCPC boss
- NDDC: Senate rejects Anambra as lawmakers biker over Kogi
- Senate Summons Wike , FCT CP over spate of kidnappings
- Reps Reject NNPCL’s OVH Acquisition Report, Order Fresh Investigation
- NNPCL, OPEC Pledge Collaboration to Attract Investments, Grow Production
- COED Tech. lay-off 95 workers in Enugu over alleged irregularities
- ‘Yahoo Plus’ pushes 27yr-old man to kill father for rituals
- (PHOTOS) Army GOC visits Shehu of Borno, sues for collaboration
- NatureNews Targets 5bn Trees Plantation by 2030, Unveils ‘NaijaGreenProject’ Initiative
- NLC suspends nationwide protest