One of the abducted students of Federal Government College Birnin Yauri in Kebbi State has died, following a rescue operation by Joint Taskforce Component of Operation Hadari Daji.
Deputy Force Commander of the Joint Taskforce in the North-West Zone, Air Commodore Abubakar AbdulKadir told newsmen that five others, comprising four students and a teacher have been rescued.
Abdulkadir who did not reveal the identity of the student that died or how it happened, said troops came in contact with the bandits in the early hours of today June 18, and engaged them in a gun duel which forced them to abandon five of the students and a teacher.
“In the early hours of this morning, we have come across the kidnappers. They came to our blocking point, and we engaged them.
“At that point, they abandoned five of the students and one of the teachers. Unfortunately, I think we have lost one of the students.”
The Deputy Force Commander also disclosed that troops recovered 155 rustled animals at Jageme area in Magami District of Gusau Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
Abdulkadir said they acted on credible intelligence, laid an ambush and recovered the animals which were loaded in 12 trucks after being sold to some persons at Yartasha Market in Magami District.
The commander who further revealed that investigations are ongoing to apprehend other buyers and sellers of the rustled animals, added that they trailed the rustled animals for about five days before they were recovered on Thursday night.
- BREAKING… IGP, Usman Baba sentenced to prison
- Arsonists cannot deter us from holding 2023 elections, INEC Chairman
- Bank failure: Depositors’ monies safe– NDIC assures
- FG approves 2-week paternity leave for civil servants
- Labour Party challenges Tinubu to open debate with Peter Obi
- Society for Peace Holds 16th Annual Conference Nov. 30
- If you think migrating legally is good for you, go– Femi Adesina
- Lagos 2023: Two guber candidates step down for Jandor
- Housewife, 20, arrested for allegedly killing her co-wife with pestle in Bauchi
- Buhari’s in-law, Sha’aban resigns from APC