The President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has mourned the death of the Secretary-General of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Mohammed Barkindo.
Lawan describes the sudden death of Barkindo, who was to conclude his second term at OPEC at the end of July, as tragic.
The Senate President describes Barkindo’s leadership of the global oil cartel as exemplary, noting that the deceased worked assiduously to build cooperation between OPEC and non-OPEC countries to save the energy market at a time of a global crisis.
Lawan says Barkindo’s pragmatic approach and hard work at the critical time brought stability to the volatile oil market.
The Senate President says Barkindo’s stewardship at OPEC made him a pride for Nigeria and Africa, adding that his death is a monumental loss to Nigeria, the world and particularly to the global energy community.
“The news of the tragic death of OPEC Secretary-General, Mohammed Barkindo, came to me as a rude shock.
“Barkindo’s exemplary leadership at the global oil cartel brought stability to the ever volatile oil market.
“The world will remember him for how he was able to rally both the OPEC and non-OPEC members together to save the energy market.
“The world will miss him and particularly the global energy community,” Lawan says.
The Senate President also condoles with the Government and people of Adamawa State over the great loss.
Lawan prays Allah to forgive the sins of the departed and accept his soul into Aljannah Firdaus.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Cameroon seeks AIB-N support on aircraft accident investigation
- Professionalism, training motivation, support are catalyst for transformed education system– Stakeholders
- Emir Sulu-Gambari prays for Doyen of Geology, Prof. Oyawoye at 95
- Again, Buhari urges ASUU to call off strike
- Kwara Govt secondary school without classrooms
- NBA lauds Bala Mohammed for signing judiciary autonomy bill into law
- APC Chieftain lauds Faleke’s appointment as Secretary of APC Presidential Campaign
- Transform Raw Materials To Finished and Revenue Generating Product – FG
- Afritel trains journalists on good governance, accountability reporting
- Soludo suspends LG chairman over wife’s death