The President of the Senate, Ahmad Lawan, has mourned the death of the Secretary-General of the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC), Mohammed Barkindo.
Lawan describes the sudden death of Barkindo, who was to conclude his second term at OPEC at the end of July, as tragic.
The Senate President describes Barkindo’s leadership of the global oil cartel as exemplary, noting that the deceased worked assiduously to build cooperation between OPEC and non-OPEC countries to save the energy market at a time of a global crisis.
Lawan says Barkindo’s pragmatic approach and hard work at the critical time brought stability to the volatile oil market.
The Senate President says Barkindo’s stewardship at OPEC made him a pride for Nigeria and Africa, adding that his death is a monumental loss to Nigeria, the world and particularly to the global energy community.
“The news of the tragic death of OPEC Secretary-General, Mohammed Barkindo, came to me as a rude shock.
“Barkindo’s exemplary leadership at the global oil cartel brought stability to the ever volatile oil market.
“The world will remember him for how he was able to rally both the OPEC and non-OPEC members together to save the energy market.
“The world will miss him and particularly the global energy community,” Lawan says.
The Senate President also condoles with the Government and people of Adamawa State over the great loss.
Lawan prays Allah to forgive the sins of the departed and accept his soul into Aljannah Firdaus.
- Emir Sulu-Gambari condoles with Etsu Tsaragi over Yahaya’s death
- Breaking….Former Reps member, Yahaya ‘Bulldozer’ is dead
- Court convicts self-acclaimed monarch, ‘Oba Dosunmu’ to 6months jailterm
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Ghali Alaaya over NNPCL’s appointment
- Reps Probe EFCC Over Failed Attempts To Rearrest Emefiele From Prison
- NYSC swears in 2,150 corps members in Kwara
- Ex-Rep member, Alajagusi is dead, Kwara Gov. mourns
- Press Week: All men and women must read this story
- Emir Sulu-Gambari mourns over demise of Sheikh Sha’aban and Baba Buhari
- Kwara Governor Mourns Late Scholar, Muyideen Sha’aban