The Presidency has said that the appointments of security chiefs are not subject to federal character.
The Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to President Buhari, Femi Adesina made this known while reacting to reports that the Buhari administration has repeatedly made such appointments without the inclusion of any man or woman of Igbo extraction.
Speaking in an interview with Channels TV, Adesina said while certain appointments are subject to Federal Character, security is not one of them.
According to him, the President can appoint whoever he feels is fit and will deliver the job accurately.
“There are certain appointments that are subject to federal character, for instance, the constitution says that there must be a minister from each state of the country.
“However, there are certain appointments that are not subject to federal character and one of them is in the security.
“In security, It is about competence; it is about the ability to deliver.
“So, the president will appoint whoever he feels is fit and proper and will deliver to the best for the country and for Nigerians,” he said
The new service chiefs, DAILY POST had earlier reported, are: Major-General Leo Irabor as Chief of Defence Staff; Air Vice Marshal Isiaka Oladayo Amao ss Chief of Air Staff; Rear Admiral Awwal Zubairu Gambo as Chief of Naval Staff; and General Ibrahim Attahiru as Chief of Army Staff.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor