The Presidency has said that the appointments of security chiefs are not subject to federal character.
The Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to President Buhari, Femi Adesina made this known while reacting to reports that the Buhari administration has repeatedly made such appointments without the inclusion of any man or woman of Igbo extraction.
Speaking in an interview with Channels TV, Adesina said while certain appointments are subject to Federal Character, security is not one of them.
According to him, the President can appoint whoever he feels is fit and will deliver the job accurately.
“There are certain appointments that are subject to federal character, for instance, the constitution says that there must be a minister from each state of the country.
“However, there are certain appointments that are not subject to federal character and one of them is in the security.
“In security, It is about competence; it is about the ability to deliver.
“So, the president will appoint whoever he feels is fit and proper and will deliver to the best for the country and for Nigerians,” he said
The new service chiefs, DAILY POST had earlier reported, are: Major-General Leo Irabor as Chief of Defence Staff; Air Vice Marshal Isiaka Oladayo Amao ss Chief of Air Staff; Rear Admiral Awwal Zubairu Gambo as Chief of Naval Staff; and General Ibrahim Attahiru as Chief of Army Staff.
- UNILORIN VC seeks upgrade of molecular lab to public health lab
- Naira, Fuel, scarcity take shine off 44th Kaduna International Trade Fair
- I paid ₦1,000 for litre– Oshiomhole laments fuel scarcity, price
- Tems wins Grammy award
- Kwara South Group Drums Support For ADC Reps candidate, Gbenga Power
- Kwara Governor Mourns As Ex-Women Affairs Commissioner Dies In Auto-Crash
- Naira Redesign: How CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele deceived Buhari— Oshiomhole
- Emir of Ilorin salutes Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq at 63
- Entrepreneurs count losses over scarcity of new Naira notes
- Buhari has indeed subdued Boko Haram — Buratai